This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Water Dragons Diet

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Brady, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Brady

Brady Member

My baby water dragon won't eat anything but wax worms. I've tried crickets and mealworms but she won't eat them. I heard wax worms are very fatty and not the best for them. What should I do

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you give details of how you keep the lizard, including enclosure size and type, temps and humidity and how you measure those, type/wattage of heat/lighting, plus a few photos of the whole enclosure? Thanks!

3. Brady

Brady Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I have two baby water dragons one of them is eating fine the other isn't, I keep them in a 55 gallon tank, I keep the temps between 82 and 86. I spray the tank down twice a day. I'm using the Exo terra intense basking bulb 75 watts and the Exo terra uvb100 26 watts. I fed them today and the bigger one ate 4 or 5 crickets while the smaller one ate 1.

4. Brady

Brady Member

image.jpeg Here is a pic of both of them

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, thanks for the photos and details. How are you measuring the ambient and surface temps plus the humidity range?
    Is the top of the enclosure screen (or part screen)?
    Normally it`s not advisable to keep two together, there will undoubtably be some domination issues at some point which could lead to serious injuries to one/both animals (and perhaps the reason why one is eating more than the other).
    They don`t look like hatchlings, more like young juveniles.
    Edit: If the UVB source is a compact bulb they are not very efficient at all, much better to use a fluorescent tube such as an "Arcadia" brand (T5 if possible, or a T8), which needs to be around 2/3rds the enclosure length

6. Brady

Brady Member

For now i just have a sticker thermometer I'm going to get a new one soon. The top is part screen part wood. And today I was feeding them and the smaller one had a cricket in its mouth and the bigger one came and took it out of its mouth. So I'm probably going to have to separate them. I'll look into getting a fluorescent tube for uvb. Thank you for the help.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The stick on analogue gauges are usually quite inaccurate, which means you/we have no idea what the actual temps and humidity are. You need a digital hygrometer urgently, you also need an IR "Temp-gun" to check the surface temp at the basking site/s.
    I believe you can get the hygrometer from Walmart for around $13, I can`t tell you where to buy the Temp-gun, hopefully an American member will give you that info.
    I suggest you separate them asap.
    Here`s a link to a Temp-gun to give you an idea of what they are...
    LCD Non-contact IR Laser Point Infrared Digital Thermometer Temp Gun GM550 UK | eBay

8. Brady

Brady Member

Okay thank you for the help.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There is a problem with the stick on tapes. They are designed for an aquarium full of water. In a terrarium, it reads the temp of the glass wall, not the air in the enclosure.

10. SirCal

SirCal Member

Have you tried silkworms? their white color my be appealing to your dragon like wax worms but are much more nutritions and their soft exoskeleton helps with digestion and they eat all day long so their always gut loaded. Im in the process of trying to get my own colony going pm me if your need some