This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Snapping Turtle Wont Eat

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by redeyedrobby, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redeyedrobby

redeyedrobby New Member

I got a baby snapping turtle less than a week ago and the first day I got him he ate great (both shrimp and pelets)but since then he hasn't touched anything I put in there. He's in a 30g tank atm. I have a zoo med blue reptic bulb that provides uva/uvb light. His water temp. Is about 70-75f. I have reptomin pelets, raw shrimp, celery, and lettuce and he won't touch any of it. He sleeps on his log ALOT! And his skin/shell looks kind of flaky and has been since I got him (kind of looks like algae but just putting it out there). He's pretty active and swims a lot when not sleeping and runs full speed when handling him.

Please help! He hasn't shown an interest in food in over 3 days and I know baby turtles are supposed to eat a lot. I really like him and don't want to see him die!

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Does he have a place he can get out of the water and bask?

Unfortunately the blue zoomed bulbs dont actually give off UVB rays for that you will need to either get a powersun or solarglo bulb. This could be part of his issue. Another is that the water temp-How are you measuring it?

3. grumpyawed

grumpyawed New Member

Don't worry, a few days without food won't hurt him. Some turtles need time to acclimate to their surroundings and this can include not eating for a few days.
    Also, what temp is your water? If it's too cold, they may not eat. Do you usually feed him out of water? I believe aquatic turtles need to eat in the water to aid them in swallowing

4. joeandjeep

joeandjeep Member

This is a hard time of year, it's time to hibernate. it's a natural instinct. I keep the water temp up slightly and keep the lights on longer.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Your water temp needs to be higher, for a hatchling I wouldn't let it get below 75-80°. And yes, that bulb you have is useless for uvb. You'll need either a self ballasted mercury vapor bulb like the powersun mentioned above, or a fluorescent tube specifically designed for uvb output. And don't get one of the spiral tpye compact bulbs, they have issues. And yes, it may still need time to acclimate, just make sure to keep the temps up and the lights on at least 12hrs a day.

6. pop

pop Active Member

Guys my turtle got eye infection and it wasn't eating for a month ,we all thought it was going to die and that it was only matter of time.Its eyes were swollen and it didn't want to open its mouth.Before the infection It was eating those little orange crabs.Then one day we offered the turtle chicken meat and it somehow sense it,opened the mouth and it happened! Try it.....It may help.

7. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

try getting some small feeder fish or tadpoles in with it.... it may actually be bored and it will help with his natural ambush instinct..... I did it all the time with mine and mine was never active really he always buried himself under his substrait and waited for his food...... I dunno if it helps but give it a try

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

This thread is from 2 months ago and the OP hasnt been back on since the original posting.

9. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

oh srry I saw someone else posted a comment today and thought it was still active lol

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not a problem! It happens!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.