This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Savannah Sexing?

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by T-Rection, May 16, 2018.

1. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

Aside from guessing, is there a better way to tell if a hatching to 1-2 month old savannah is a boy or a girl? I have read that until they are old enough and end up reverting their hemipene (and if you are there to see it) you can never tell for sure and the only way to have an educated guess is by head shape, color and tale base comparisons. I was wondering if there are other methods people have used, like shining a light through the tale or simply lifting the tale when the animal is on a flat surface to see if there are large bulges or not, the same way you can for other lizards like bearded dragons. I was also wondering if people have ever used the probe method of sexing the same way a lot of people sex snakes :) just wondering for myself when it comes the time to pick out my baby i would prefer a male but it is proving to be no simple task :p

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Give me 10 minutes for a longer response, for now absolutely no probing, it`s both inconclusive and very likely to cause serious damage..

T-Rection likes this.
  3. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

Ok sounds good, just wondering, i of course would never try probing them myself. I have just seen pet stores do it for other types of animals when you go to buy them so i thought i would ask :)

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You can try the hemipenal transillumination technique, although if you haven`t used it previously it may not be obvious. I`ve used it with success on V. niloticus and salvator but they are twice the size at hatching compared to exanthematicus which makes it somewhat easier to see the difference.
    If the petshop tell you they will probe or have done so don`t buy from them, neither can a vet tell using that method.
    Colour has no part to play at all, head shape, tailbase are reasonably effective once the monitor is into adulthood, maybe even before that. All things considered mostly guesswork for hatchlings of many species...

5. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

Cool when the time comes ill have to ask the shop if they know how to do hemipenal transillumination then, i have used it for bearded dragons, im assuming its probably about the same? :) thanks

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

AmityReptiles and T-Rection like this.
  7. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, it can be difficult mostly because they are so small at hatching, and if the person hasn`t had experience using the method it might not seem very obvious at all. If anyone wants to try and isn`t sure I would suggest trying to get a few photos and contact Danny Brown, I think he`d be willing to try and confirm gender.