This Disappears When Logged In

Baby savanna won't eat

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by IAmXavierPee, May 19, 2014.

1. IAmXavierPee

IAmXavierPee Well-Known Member

I assume you know a lot more about Savannah's then me so please read this and message me please I need help

My baby savannah won't eat.. The first couple days he are whatever was Infront of him now he eats about one cricket and hides all day. He has multiple hides his basking gets up to 110-115 I know it's suppose to be 130 but he is a baby and I don't wanna burn him, I mist the cage every chance I get he has eco earth it's moist he digs burrows and stays there all day. I don't ever see him bask. I ordered reptiworms to promote his eating because i figure he won't always want to eat crickets but he just doesn't even acknowledge them anymore.. He does not have UVB but I read on millions of sites they aren't mandatory. I use calcium with d3 again multiple hides water dish whatever it is you name it. Cool side is about 75-82 degrees. He would eat now he looks eats one calls it a day and hides for the rest of the day. I am gone at school for 8 hours a day I am in highschool and as soon as I get home I mist him and try to feed him. He looks as if he isn't breathing and he just sleeps. He would be active for about 1 minute and then just stop and close his eyes and sleep.. I do handle I'm to bathe him 1-2 times a week so I don't stress him but past couple of days he is always hidden and will not eat again so I find him and I try to put food by him but he just doesn't wanna eat them.. I need help. I also hold food outside of his hides where I can see him from to get him to come out and attack them like before but he doesn't even bother.. What is wrong?

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Sounds to me like you never him a chance to get used to his surroundings and you which is stressing him out.
    You don't need to bathe him, it's likely scaring the crap out of him. Lying motionless is him playing dead because he is afraid.

Can you post some pics please so we can determine if he is a healthy weight or not.

3. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

I concur..^^^

The best thing you can do for your lizard is keep your hands completely off him/her. at least until it grows up some.

Correct Savannah Monitor Care

Savannah Monitor Housing

4. IAmXavierPee

I'm just afraid something might be wrong. I should be getting home in 15 minutes and infernalis I seen handling causes stress but it makes me wonder he is now tame but will not eat? His reptiworms come in Tommorow and I wanna feed him to put a bit of weight I realize they tend to become obese fast but I don't have a measuring scale and I'm sure he's lost a few grams since I got him so I figured some worms would boost whatever he lost and what not. I will post pictures asap

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Trust me. He is not tame.
    He is afraid. Closing his eyes helps him hide from the bad man.

6. IAmXavierPee

Well I just got home so much for being home in 15 minutes lol but he was hiding I came him and he came out I threw in 2 crickets he ate one and he went looking for the other now he's gone again lol but Im gonna take a few pics right now

7. IAmXavierPee

Well I just got home so much for being home in 15 minutes lol but he was hiding I came him and he came out I threw in 2 crickets he ate one and he went looking for the other now he's gone again lol but Im gonna take a few pics right now.

8. IAmXavierPee

image.jpg

Here's his enclosure the white board was to quarantine from the rest of the cage because of how big it is and if that was the reason why he wasn't eating that's what the white board is for

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

Here he is or she when she he came out of the black tube from catching a cricket

9. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

you don't need to keep him from any part of the cage, they love space, they crave space, they need space... believe me they do not stress from big cages.

You said "they become obese fast", so let him have the exercise from running around and exploring. ;)

have you tried earth worms yet? night crawlers from the sporting goods section of wal mart are an excellent food source.

[video=youtube;2_DdVp_YEGA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_DdVp_YEGA[/video]

10. IAmXavierPee

Ah okay I see , and not yet, I've kept reptiles ever since I was little and I'm almost 16 now and I did so much research for months before I even got my savannah because I don't wanna lose him because unlike most of my other reptiles this one requires the most care, but not yet I was thinking about trying those soon. My reptiworms ( soldier fly larvae) should be here Tommorow and I was going to try those guys out and see how he likes those. But what all can they eat exactly from all you know like what all can they eat? Btw nice savs, I just Subscribed you on you tube

11. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

I have fed mine slugs, snails, minnows, worms, shrimp, mice, rats, chicks, bunnies, Dubia roaches, Madagascar hissing roaches, grasshoppers, crickets, moths (fun to watch the chase)

Never feed dog food, cat food, canned anything, or grocery store meats... that is all junk.

Hope that helps.

12. NoahGotHerpsDewd

NoahGotHerpsDewd Well-Known Member

You have your Sav in a tank? You will surely need a 8x4x4 as soon as possible.