This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Sav Pics

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Ahura, May 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

I took her out to feed crickets for the first time. She did not chase the crickets, just run around like a chicken with it's head cut off. I tried to dangle crickets in her face and she would open her mouth. She did not want to bite the cricket. She only closed her mouth when my hand was in it. I let her bite me a couple times. Then I tricked her and dropped some crickets and she eventually chewed them. Her bite doesn't hurt now but if she doesn't learn I'm in big trouble. After I let her bite me I did not let off. I think she learned that biting me was useless.

Here are some pics enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. Beardie

Beardie Elite Member

Aww! How cute! Hopefully you'll get the feeding problem worked out.

3. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

OOH, What a teeny tiny little baby!!!
    I LOVE new hatchling baby savs!!!!!!!:)

If only they could stay that small and that cute!:)

That is exactly the way mine looked a little more than two years ago!
    Now, she is about 3 feet long and counts crickets by the quart!

$5.00 US is nothing to spend for 1 meal for an adult sav!
    Luckily, an adult doesn't need to be fed every single day!;)

4. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

She is absolutely adorable! :D I can see that you are going to have the world of fun with her.;) What is her name?

5. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

that is a beautiful lizard,it has an great color,and is not camera shy ...hope you have fun

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Great pics. Thanks for sharing.
    Savs are very unique in their characteristics.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Ahura, the monitor will take a couple of weeks to settle in, so until then, he/she won`t know you`re not a threat, so keep feeding the way you are, and handling every day..... these animals learn quite quickly! You mentioned a mark on the tail, but I can't see anything unusual?

8. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

I don't think it's a big deal. It seems to be healing over. I can describe it as... the spot was missing scales and a light color. But I have another concern! I have no idea if it is retained shed of not but she isn't using one of her toes. it seems to be red on the tip just before the nail. She lifts it up when she walks. There is also a red ring around where the toe begins. It is not black or anything. It just looks irritated. I soaked her in a lukewarm bath for about 20 min. And Q-tipped the area gently but no skin came off. I am scared she might lose a toe!!!

9. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

If you look carefully you can see it in the 5th picture. It's her very right toe. On the very left of the picture. It looks red. :(

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Ahura, sorry I can't see anything... as far as the mark on the tail, it sounds like the scales have been knocked off, so what you`re seeing is the skin underneath, this will colour over a few months, but the scales will never re-grow( not a problem). The toes are another matter, yes, they can lose these if the skin isn`t shed completely, if you`re sure there`s no skin on there now, use a mild antiseptic to wipe over the area.. is there any chance you can get a close-up photo of the toe? ( I know it`s not easy!) The redness could be infection....

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Ahura, is it the right "hand" little finger? I think it looks a little swollen?

12. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

Yea that's the one. Do you think it's just a cut? Maybe swollen? Polysporin?

13. gbassett

gbassett Elite Member

try feeding in the cage moving it to a feeding cage will only cause stress and he might stop eating . try not to Handel him and offer him food from tongs he will become accustom to you

greg

14. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

I have been feeding him in a dish in his cage for now. I would like to move him into a feeding cage. I am going to give her some time to settle down. She doesn't seem interested in snails or krill. She loves super worms though. I don't know what so do about that swollen toe.

15. gbassett

gbassett Elite Member

don't even bother with the feeding cage just let him eat in his cage try crickets or roach.roach are really good for them they offer more nutrition and monitors love them

as far as his toe that is a common problem with a cage that is too wet you said you where misting 3 times a day like I said before try to cover most if not all of his tank get the basking up to about 120 that should fix him if provided proper husbandry most monitors bounce back quick if the swelling dose not go down or starts to spread take him to a vet

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

What on earth are you talking about?? (Quote)
    "as far as his toe that is a common problem with a cage that is too wet"??? Where on earth are you getting your information about Varanids?? You are causing so much confusion.....:confused::confused:

17. Whatshername

Whatshername Elite Member

I've had the same problem but my boy lost part of his toe. A moisture issue is a likely culprit, but it would be too dry, not too moist. Keep soaking, but if it starts to turn a dark red or purple, it's vet time. All in all this will probably cost less than $100. I payed a little over 100 for a check up on my tortoise, and to take care of a tail that had the same problem as the toe, plus dewormers for both herps. I hope that helps

18. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Ahura, is there an under tank heating element attached to your viv?

I ask because we took in a sav at work once that had severe burns on feet and belly, and lost some toes because of it.

19. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

No under tank heater. I know for sure it is not too moist. I have the screen covered and I spray once a day. The substrate is always slightly moist, not too dry not too wet. The basking spot is 115-120 now that it is covered. I was just wondering if I should apply some polysporin on it.

20. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

I will try to describe it. If you look at the top of the foot the toe is erected upwards slightly. It looks a little bit bigger than the toe on the other foot. The part right before the nail is reddish. If you look from the bottom there is a red line right where the toe begins. I am thinking it is a cut? Can she lose her toe because of this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.