This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Python Recovering From Stitches

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by HarVernie, Oct 16, 2014.

1. HarVernie

HarVernie New Member

Hi, I just joined today. My husband and I have had our baby ball python since Labor Day weekend. On Monday, he managed to escape from his 10 gallon tank. In the process, he cut himself up. We found him quickly, he didn't even have a chance to get off the tank. We rushed him to the vet and she stitched him up and have him an antibiotic shot.
    Pete is stitched up along one side just above the belly scales starting behind his head for about 2 inches back.

The vet we visited, while she has worked with reptiles, she is not an expert. That being said, we have a few questions:

1. Our python Pete was beginning to shed when the accident happened. All of the shed came off except for the skin above the stitches, the top of his head and the eye cap on the side of the injury. Do we try to get the shed and the eye cap off now or leave it until the next shed?

2. Should we hold off feeding Pete this week? Or should we feed a smaller mouse like a fuzzy? He has been eating live, just weaned mice on Saturdays.

We have now secured his enclosure with tie-down straps. Pete is on a substrate mat and we clean things out regularly. The humidity is set at 65%, and the hot side is 89 degrees with the cold side being about 80. We have digital thermometers at each end and the probes are near the bottom of the tank. We're using the Zoo Med HygroTherm to adjust the temp and humidity automatically. He has hides on both sides and a heat mat on the hot side.

2. CrazySnakeLady

CrazySnakeLady Elite Member

I would say leave him be for a while. Don't try to get the shed off, don't feed him. I'd suggest getting him into a "basic" setup of paper towels, a water bowl, and 2 hides. And clean whenever there is poop/urate in the tank. He just needs time to heal.

3. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

It pretty much sounds like your on the right track. The only thing I would do is change the subtrate to paper towels to help keep the wounded area clean. I also wouldn't mess with the problem shed areas until he's fully healed. He needs to eat, food is energy and healing takes energy.

On a side note not related to your questions: you mentioned that you usually feed mouse weanlings. That is a fairly small meal for a ball python. Most balls start out with maybe one or two of those, then are on to adult mice and transition from there to rats fairly quickly. You probably need to up the prey size you are offering.

4. HarVernie

HarVernie New Member

Pete is just a baby, weighs 70 grams and is about 15 inches long. I think a full sized mouse would be too big. Because of the injury, I was wondering if maybe we should do two fuzzies instead of 1 weanling. The weanlings, we are worried, will stretch his wound area too much.

We'll try the paper towels, thank you.