This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Hissing Dragon

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by shellymonstew, Nov 15, 2013.

1. shellymonstew

shellymonstew Member

My lighting is correct, he/she is active, there is plenty of room in the tank. I have had her/him for a month now. I was not aware of letting the babies stay in the cage for days before handling. I was told to hold as much as possible to tame the baby to be a nice juvenile/adult. Now I've been told to let her/him alone for stress and to get use to the cage. She/He is hissing when I try to pick up. She/He eats well and comes to the glass when ready to eat but still sees me as a threat. I am scared of being bitten, I need this behavior to stop....any advice?

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you give more details of tank size and type, the range of temps and humidity and what you use to measure them, and do you have a few photos of the whole enclosure and dragon?

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

More detailed info on the tank as well as what you are feeding and how often you feed would be a great in determining what could be the cause of the problem. Also how big is the dragon?

4. shellymonstew

shellymonstew Member

Hi..the tank size is 72 gallons the basking temp is 105 the mid tank is 88 and the cool side 75-80. It is a glass enclosure measured with a digital probe thermometer. Im unsure how to upload/download pics so I will have someone help me. He/she is very active and basks after eating and in between.

5. shellymonstew

shellymonstew Member

He/she is a baby. I bought her/him from the pet store and they said maybe 1 month old. Ive had the beardie for a month. He/she has grown is size since. I feed her/him crickets (dusted in Ca/Vit D3) she usually eats up to 11 (once a day)at a time but the pet store said feed once a day and only 6 since so tiny at the time of purchase, I also offer mixture of appropriate greens and baby beardie pellets everyday and she eats them.Im trying to get her/him to eat phoenix worms, she/he will eat maybe 2 before the crickets. The tank is 72-75 gallon.He/She has no problem finding the crickets. The basking temp is 105 the cool side is 75 I have not measured humidity because I spray her to drink as well as soak her outside of her cage and she drinks well.. she is about 6-8 inches long including the tail

6. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

you are not giving us the details we need to assist you to the best of our ability. you say your lighting is correct, but correct from what the pet store says and what is actually needed are usually 2 different things. are your lights on a timer to provide 12 hour light cycle? what are your night time temps? have you provided at least 2 hides in the tank? are you using any compact florescent bulbs in the area of your beardie? it is best to feed your baby dragons till they cant eat any more. this applies to both fresh greens and insects. it is usually best to feed twice a day. greens in the morning, and bugs in the evening. this aids in the digestion of the food items. what kind of greens are you feeding? you should stop using the ca/vitd3. if your lighting is correct the dragon will get all the d3 it needs from that. use ca/vit powder with out d3. how often are you soaking it? once a day
    , every other day, once a week? misting is good, but it is still best to have a water dish available at all times.

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

To post a picture click on the icon that looks like a framed tree. Then a popup window will appear. Click on basic uploader in the lower right hand corner (if you skip this step it won't work). Then click browse. Find your photo. Then click on the words "upload file" this will turn your image into some numbers and letters in brackets and then once you post your reply it will become the image.