This Disappears When Logged In

Baby GTP Enclosures

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by EriksExotics, Mar 12, 2014.

1. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Anyone know a good model arboreal display enclosure or coupe for baby GTPS?

2. trappen

trappen Elite Member

My bay window would be a perfect fit!

3. pjrojo

pjrojo Subscribed User Premium Member

All of mine in different sized Exo Terra enclosures, When you say 'baby' about how old are referring to, I have one that has gone from 8x8x8 to 12x12x12 to 12x12x18 to now an 18x18x18

If you want something nice with options, try Repti Racks

4. EriksExotics

anywhere from 1 month to a year. Just depends on what's available to me when I start looking and hopefully JoeyG will have eggs when that time comes! Otherwise I'll just be looking around at expos and whatnot

5. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

If someone offers you one at a month old just walk away. They should be older and well established before they're sold as they can be very delicate. Most are usually in tubs at a young age because of the need for high humidity. Humidity is the main thing to consider when housing chondros. I can refer you to top breeders when you're ready.

6. EriksExotics

Thanks for that! I haven't seen any that young for sale, I'm just trying to give an idea of what size enclosure I'd need! I have been considering GTPs for too long. I can't wait much longer lol

7. EriksExotics

Is there a way to rack them? Just wondering because I know that they need lamps rather than an UTH

8. pjrojo

9. EriksExotics

Not to get off subject but in a few care sheets I've read that Emerald's tolerate handling well compared to Green Tree Pythons. Can anyone verify that?

I think I'm just going to get 1.1 GTPs and 1.1 ETBs

10. JoeyG

NO! :eek: They are much more sensitive then chondros. Chondros will tolerate the handling better and some are fairly docile..... for the most part. Chondros tend to be a small species anyway so as to how much space when they're young, not much. Also they don't need lights, they do much better with heat panels. There are plenty of people that house babies in rack using flexwatt in the back instead of the bottom. Any other questions? ;) Plus sexing can't be done till they're over 100g so it's quite late usually nearing a year old

11. JoeyG

I did want to add that though you say 1.1 ..... IT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!!!! You want to talk about addictions, it's Chondros! :x

12. pjrojo

SO TRUE!!!! I/We thought my 2011 Biak x Merauke/Biak was a female until January 2014

13. JoeyG

14. EriksExotics

All the care sheets on GTPS just say they're easily stressed from handling and being pulled off their perches as where no such thing is said about ETBS. I'm going to look around for a bit and try to get at least 1.1 of each.. Figure that out on my own :) that's my official excuse for buying some of each ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks by the way!! I am going to keep researching and preparing and I'll keep you updated on what I decide :)

15. JoeyG

I never said not to buy, they are gorgeous animals!!! I may yet get some in the future but I love the face on chondros more. Chondros can be a bit hard to get off their perches but once out they're usually fine. Morelia Viridis Forums Look here if you want to do some god reading on them. Read everything you can on both. Also check out the "more complete chondro" by greg maxwell

16. EriksExotics

I really appreciate the help, Joey!

17. EriksExotics

I'm starting to lean towards 1.0 GTP and 1.0 Emerald and then I'll buy 0.1 of either one after I get used to keeping them and figure out which one I like more. Not worried about bites but I don't want to stress them out with occasional handling