This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Green Iguana

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Yangliang, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Yangliang

Yangliang Well-Known Member

Yes, will do.

2. Yangliang

The good news is Emo is now eating. He's still really nervous, but I saw him eat a few times now.

The bad news, during the last few days I noticed some strange small transparent shells in the bottom of his water container. I didn't think too much of them and just poured his water out each time and refilled with fresh water and put it back in is enclosed.

However, this morning I noticed he had pooped in his water bowl again. Only this time I saw those transparent things are actually moving. They are some kind of worm!!!

I will try and post on here to show others. After doing a search online, I read that iguana's can carry pin worms and tapeworms. My God!!

I will take him to see a vet ASAP.

3. Yangliang

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Keep us posted...

5. Yangliang

Will take him to see a vet first thing on Monday morning.

In the meantime, after spending hours online, searching for what these things could be, including reading some useful posts on here, it seems Emo has tapeworms.

The photos I saw on this site from another poster are identical to what I found in the bottom of his water container.

Apparently they are end segments of the main worm that break off and pass in his stools and then dry out and complete the life cycle of the parasite after they are ingested by something else.

Creepy stuff, but hopefully the Chinese vet has experience with reptiles. Seems that the locals are only just recently starting to have pets, mainly dogs and cats.

6. Yangliang

Ok, back from the vet yesterday and the vet checked his stools to identify which parasites he has. They only traces found were that of the common tapeworm which is the gross things that showed up in his water bowl.

He seems to think that Emo was bred on a farm mixed with several other species and due to them frequently licking the ground, probably caught the worms from another infected reptile's droppings.

The vet asked me to hold him firmly whilst he gripped the flap under his neck and using rubber gloves forced his mouth open and put a segment of a pill inside. He later told me the pill was called "DRONCIT" which he said is from Germany and is actually for dogs.

The vet told me to isolate him for a couple of days to ensure his environment is clean and free of eggs. I should also disinfect his enclosure in the meantime thoroughly before putting him back inside, he said.

The vet assured me that if I followed those instructions then all worms will definitely be killed very quickly. I was advised to return after a fortnight for the vet to inspect his stools again.

I should expect to see pieces of dead worms come out in his stools throughout the next few days. He also told me the entire worm(s) may come out intact since Emo is so small and it's unlikely his digestive system will break them down.

Will send an update after a couple of days.

7. jonathan.piazza91

jonathan.piazza91 Active Member

Holy smokes. Props to you for doing the right thing in a timely manner and getting professional help. Hope everything works out.

8. Yangliang

Thanks Jonathan, so far he seems to be doing fine. Yesterday his droppings were small and contained pieces of the worm end segments like before, but this time they seemed dead.

This morning he had done the biggest dropping ever which was full of hard and crispy worm segments, including what looked like the head, a couple of heads actually. Totally gross, but at least the medicine seems to have really worked.

I spent a full day disinfecting his enclosure and all branches, ladders, artificial leaves and his water bowl has been put back inside. I threw away the bark chippings since they were difficult to keep clean and I wanted to be sure the worm eggs were definitely gone.

I now have a piece of cardboard cut out the same size as the enclosure base which is really easy to keep clean and is also easy for me to see when he has done his business.

He is back eating again and looking healthy, so everything couldn't be better at the moment.

9. Yangliang

10. Yangliang

11. Yangliang

12. Yangliang

13. Yangliang

He's put on a lot of weight after getting rid of the tape worms. Seems to be doing fine now and eating well.

jonathan.piazza91 likes this.
  14. jonathan.piazza91

jonathan.piazza91 Active Member

Very glad to see / hear. Thanks for the update and hope everything continues to improve! Way to be on top of everything.

15. Yangliang

Thanks, Jonathan. Should be all smooth sailing from now on. Now starts the slow process of training him.

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Yangliang, good to hear everything seems to be o.k regarding the iguana`s worm problem, did you manage to get a more effective UVB bulb or tube?

17. Yangliang

Hello Murrindindi,
    I bought the Zoo-Med UVB 5.0 T8 lamp which came with a reflector and also bought a very nice digital thermometer. They are at my apartment in Shanghai now, but I'm away on a business trip at the moment in Hochiminh City, Vietnam. Will install the lamp after I return on Monday. Will post photos below.

18. Yangliang

19. Yangliang

20. Yangliang

Why wife is taking good care of him whilst I'm away. He's shedding at the moment.