This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Green Iguana

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Yangliang, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Yangliang

Yangliang Active Member

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a baby green Iguana (Emo) who is as expected a little skittish at times. The vivarium I bought him is 60cm * 60cm and around 120cm high. I have a night UVA bulb, a day UVA bulb and a UVB bulb installed at the top. Will try and post pictures here.

Emo's enclosure has two places where he can rest and has a base area that is full of branches and plastic leaves, so he can hide away if he wants to.

In the four days we've had him, he's gone from darting about his enclosure like crazy at the slightest disturbance, to now basking at the top or laying in his water container and generally seems much more relaxed.

He hasn't eaten anything yet. Is this normal? How long does it normally take for a baby iguana recently introduced to a new enclosure to start eating?

I read that leaving him for a week or so alone in his new surroundings is a must.

Thanks for reading.

Attached Files:

2. Yangliang

Yangliang Active Member

3. Yangliang

Yangliang Active Member

During the last couple of days he seems to enjoy hiding right at the back of the enclosure, behind the branches and leaves. Very difficult to see.

4. jonathan.piazza91

jonathan.piazza91 Active Member

Cage looks nice, temps and humidity look good. Iguanas grow quick but I'm sure you already know that. You'll need something bigger fairly soon. What are you feeding? The Green Iguana Society has a helpful food chart:
    Food Information Chart

I would just keep offering fresh food and give it a week or so more to see if he comes around. It's stressful being moved around, lol. Again, from what I can tell, the cage looks good for a baby iguana! You'll need to consider starting a larger build soon though; probably 100cm wide, 50cm deep and 150-200cm tall.

5. Yangliang

Yangliang Active Member

Hi Jonathan, thanks for the comments.

I feed him on a large selection of foods on the list you sent me. I also grow my own purple flowered Alfalfa which I heard is the ideal food for green iguanas.

The humidity here is perfect for Emo, between 60-80%, mainly because I live in Shanghai and it's summer here.

I've noticed that during the day Emo spends 80% of his time basking at the top and 20% of his time swimming in the water container I added to his lower ledge.

Still haven't seen him eating yet, but it seems the food put out in the morning has been moved or had some of it eaten.

Once he starts to grow I will build a full size enclosure for him.

6. Yangliang

Yangliang Active Member

7. Yangliang

Yangliang Active Member

Around 19:00 each evening Emo makes his way to the bottom of his enclosure and hides under the branches and leaves and shuts his eyes and sleeps all the way through until around 09:00 the next day. Is that normal?

He sleeps longer than we so. I turn his lights off around this time and the temperature during the night is around 33 degrees, humidity around 75%.

8. Yangliang

Yangliang Active Member

9. Yangliang

Yangliang Active Member

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Yangliang, can I ask which type and wattage of heat ("basking") bulbs you use, plus the type and brand of the UVB bulb/tube? I would also like to ask what the basking surface temperature is and how you measure that?
    The iguana will sleep as long as it feels the need, after a time it should behave according to the heat/light schedule you set.
    Is it possible for you to build an outdoor enclosure for use during suitable weather?
    It would also benefit the iguana if you could provide a larger container to soak/swim in and heat the water to approx. 27 to 30c (you can use a small aquarium heater @ around 50w).

11. Yangliang

Yangliang Active Member

12. Yangliang

Yangliang Active Member

Hi Murrindindi,

The day/night basking bulbs are local chinese brands, both are 100W and specifically for reptiles.

The UVB bulb is also a local brand (UVB 5.0) and is 13W and also specifically for reptiles.

The above temperatures shown are when using the UVB bulb only since it's so hot and humid here in Shanghai. After switching on the UVA bulb, the temperature at the top basking spot reaches 43°C and humidity is around 55%. I measure the temperature and humidity there using the gauge you can see it the photos.

Since I live in an apartment in a high rise building, I can't build an outside enclosure for him, unfortunately. I do let him swim in a much larger container in our living room each day which he seems to enjoy. I plan to add a larger heated swimming area to the bottom of the next enclosure that I will build.

13. Yangliang

Yangliang Active Member

14. Yangliang

Yangliang Active Member

15. Yangliang

Yangliang Active Member

16. jonathan.piazza91

jonathan.piazza91 Active Member

I will reiterate that your enclosure, variety of foods being offered, and temps/humidity seem pretty spot on. I wouldn't worry too much about his activities. It's good you've seen the food moved around; I would guess he's nibbling and will start to consume more as he's fully acclimated. I understand your concerns and would just continue to monitor. If you notice any physical abnormalities, definitely ask for more advice and be prepared to find a qualified vet to take a look but I don't think you have much to worry about based on the care you're providing. I think 43 Celsius for a basking temp is a bit too hot; you should look into changing your bulb to a lower wattage and shoot for closer to 35 at the basking spot and ambient temp of 28-32.

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

[QUOTE="jonathan.piazza91, post: 545403, member: 30217: I think 43 Celsius for a basking temp is a bit too hot; you should look into changing your bulb to a lower wattage and shoot for closer to 35 at the basking spot and ambient temp of 28-32.[/QUOTE]

Hi, 43c is a little higher than what`s normally recommended as a basking surface temp but if the animal is using the basking site and heating up evenly (at least the snout to vet length) then the temp is perfectly acceptable, it will allow the iguana to heat up more quickly. They have an "activity" core body temp range between approx. 32 to 36c or slightly over in the wild, no reason it should be different in captivity.

18. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again Yangliang, unfortunately the digital hygrometer cannot accurately measure the surface temp of an object, you need an IR Temp-gun (I`ll put a link up).
    The compact UVB bulb is very ineffective, much better are the linear UVB tubes such as "Arcadia" or "Zoo-Med"/ similar, the high output T5 are superior but you can also use a T8 tube (the figures only refer to the tube diameter). If you have the "Amazon" website over there should be able to buy them, even if they need to be shipped from outside China. I imagine companies in your country do manufacture them in different brand names, but I`m not sure what the quality is (perhaps just as good)?
    There are also more efficient "basking" bulbs (I will go into detail if you`re interested) however the main consideration is to heat at least the snout to vent length of the iguana, as he/she grows it would be advisable to use more than just one "basking" bulb.
    A Temp-gun... Digital Infrared Handheld Temperature Laser Gun Thermometer Non-Contact IR Point 733430501716 | eBay

One example of a UVB tube, you will need to buy a suitably sized tube batten... Arcadia Euro Range Reptile Light D3 Forest 5% Lamp T8 Fluorescent Tube 5.0 UVB 844046008107 | eBay

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  19. Yangliang

Yangliang Active Member

Hi Murrindindi,

Thanks for the advice with links. All items are available here in China. I have already ordered them.

murrindindi likes this.
  20. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Will you update us when you have them? Thanks!