This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Gray Tree Frogs

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by AVierra, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AVierra

AVierra Member

Hi,
    I just recently ordered some gray tree frogs from a reptile breeder. I would assume they will be adults or close to it. However while out by our above ground pool at my mother in laws house that we let go wild I found TONS of baby gray tree frogs and tadpoles, so I took some home. I have already established a habitat anticipating the arrival of my new frogs. Now common sense tells me the larger ones will eat the babies? Also what would I feed a baby that has just graduated from a tadpole? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Adam

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

3. AVierra

AVierra Member

Thank you for the welcome and the very fast reply, I'll have to pick up a secondary enclosure and get started.

Thanks again!,
    Adam

4. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Oh, Goody another Gray Tree Frogger! How cool!

I have one young Gray Tree Frog that I rescued as a tadpole, and I have two tadpoles on the verge of turning into froglets and one more tadpole still growing.

You will learn a lot on this site, and Schlegelbagel is totally knowledgeable with her frogs!

Welcome and good luck with your new hoard!

Frognut

5. AVierra

AVierra Member

Thanks again for the welcomes!

I got my 2 that I bought yesterday, and bought a dozen large crickets and 1000 pinhead crickets, I've never seen crickets so small. I went with those over the fruit flies because i don't want them flying all around the house(even though they are easier to generate). A lot of them drowned in the water dish though. My 2 larger frogs snatched up some of the crickets as soon as i put them in so I would assume that's a good sign that they are healthy. My setup is kind of amateur but I'm sure it will suffice for the time being. I'll post pictures as soon as I get the chance.

Adam

6. AVierra

AVierra Member

[​IMG]

That's the setup as of now, have a 40g breeder that I may use in the near future but is currently occupied by parakeets until I build something else.

7. schlegelbagel

Your tank is just fine for the babies. The fruit flies we culture are wingless, but that's OK since they won't be eating those for very long.

The 40 gallon breeder won't work, unless you do a vertical conversion on it. They need tall vs. long. Think tree and up.

8. AVierra

AVierra Member

Yeah, I was thinking of how I could put vertical conversions on already, so plans for that are in the works.

Upon closer examination of my frogs that I received via mail order one is a very strong jumper while the other is not. The one who is not tends to hang around in the bottom of the tank while the other stays hidden away in the "trees". It tends to scramble like a bad attempt to jump or crawl. I hope that is not an indicator of bad things to come.:confused: It DID eat though. So I'm hoping that maybe it's weak or stressed by being transported from Texas to MA. The babies all seem very fat this morning so that points to a busy night for them :).

The cool thing is, they seem to be sexed male and female. One has a baggier neck with black speckles, the other one is slightly larger and has a tighter looking neck clear of any kind of speckling.

9. Frognut

Wait... how do you tell the sex of the grays? Explain what you mean for a real newbie in the frog world - my guys don't have necks -they are too small....:rolleyes:

Frognut

10. schlegelbagel

Mature frogs will have throat sacks if they are boys. They will also call. The females don't call. I should have pointed out the throat sacks on my whites while you were over.

You can't tell the sex until they are older. :)

11. Frognut

Darn - I was hoping I would be able to tell if Clyde was really a he... the name won't change regardless (in our house once you've been named not only does that mean you are part of the family but the name stays!) but I don't want the poor thing to have a complex if 'he' turns out to be a 'she'.

Although - Joey, our female mouse doesn't seem to mind.

AVierra - I wish you luck with your new ones, I really hope it's just stress from the travel causing the problems. And your tank is much more attractive than mine -- until I add more ventilation I'm not adding live plants so Clyde just has sticks, bark and rocks to climb on.

Do you have pics posted somewhere of the frogs and I missed them?

Frognut

12. schlegelbagel

Stephanie, you don't need ventilation for plants. They will do just fine in that tank of yours.

13. AVierra

AVierra Member

unfortunately my plants are all fake. i couldn't find anything sturdy to put in there. the only living things are the moss and the little tiny tree growing from the bottom. i cant wait till i can get some plywood or particle board and double the height of that enclosure, and make a plexiglass front door.

my male is the one thats under the weather, he's still alive and was hanging around the floor of the tank. I've heard that mail order frogs don't always make it, also there is only an upon arrival life guarantee. i will be very disappointed if he doesn't make it. but i have a bunch of babies. i even gave some to the guy at the pet store he was thrilled, apparently he's had a lot of different kinds of frogs but grays are his all time favorite. I'd like to get a viable male and female out of all of them and breed them in the long run.

::::edit::::

i just checked my male out too and he seems to be just dragging his rear legs.

14. AVierra

AVierra Member

[​IMG]
    this is my very healthy female above

below are a few of my poor male
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and these are my babies
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. schlegelbagel

Looks like some sort of spinal chord injury. I know they shipper usually write "live animals" on the side of the box, but that doesn't mean the box wasn't dropped or anything.

If you have a hospital tank, I'd put him in there for a bit, with elevated temps and moist paper towels for substrate with a fake plant or two and a water dish.

16. AVierra

AVierra Member

I'll have to look around to find something extra to separate him in. i have plenty of small heat lamps from my turtles. so warming him up once i find a suitable container wont be a problem.

the packaging was not labeled as live animals because they sent it via USPS. I knew that thats how they were going to send them, and i got it from them because the shipping was 1/2 of the cost of anyone else's. i knew i was taking a risk buying frogs online. i didn't know i would just find tons of them in the pool the day after i ordered them :(. at least i wont ever have to mail order amphibians again.

17. Frognut

Wow - that's a lot of baby tree frogs! And I thought I was busy with keeping 3 from the last hatching, plus the one (Clyde) from a previous hatching.

It looks like yours are all at the same stage. The three I rescued from the last hatching all grew at different rates and morphed at different times -- which makes it much more difficult to make sure they are getting what the individual stages need. And the 40+ that I had a friend take to her pond were all over the place in size - from tiny ones that didn't look much bigger than when I found them to large size. And with the exception of one or two, they all looked the like the same type of frog -- go figure.

I do hope your male makes a recovery - that is so sad that the people selling these guys can't take even the smallest step to ensure a better chance of safe delivering. I'm glad I found mine, I don't think I could feel comfortable shipping live frog --- crickets on the other hand, now thats a different story. )Of course it seem's I've got Schegelbagel breeding like crazy,so I just get to do a drive by... :p

18. AVierra

AVierra Member

well where i got all the babies is one of those do it yourself above ground pools from like Wal-mart. apparently they went to town in there. I'm not so sure I'll take anymore out, but i just visit every day or 2 and let them develop on their own. Everytime i walk back there there is at least another 20 hanging out on the sides of the pool. In the end I'll probably release most of those after they grow a little and i choose the ones i like most. unless i can find someone else in my immediate area that wants some of them. But they are fairly easy when they are all the same size, I just check on them to make sure they are all okay and I put 1000 pinheads in a few days ago and there still a bunch in there, and there are a lot of fat bellies so i know they are eating. 1 of them is a little larger than the rest and has developed it's markings. However he is still too small to put with my adults, and small enough to not eat the others.

I hope he does get better. though if it is a spinal injury I'm not completely confident that he will.:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.