This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Gecko Identification?

Discussion in 'Herp Photos' started by LiveSquid, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiveSquid

LiveSquid Elite Member

Does anyone know what kind of Gecko this is? Around here, theyre so common that theyre just 'geckos'.

I live in New Orleans (and Im sure its true all over the south) and these geckos live on our walls and our outside doors and, well, anything around the house really. I caught this little guy on my landing near the front roor, inside. He's really cute. In one of the pics I have my finger under the glass I caught him in to show his size.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. venus

venus Founding Member

I think it maybe called a House Gecko..but there are many names for it.

3. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

some sort of house gecko maybe? i'm not too sure because i'm not that great IDing herps. i would just think house gecko because they have something similar in texas when i visit relatives down there and i've seen them. i'm sure someone else will be along to be of more help. cute though! :D

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yep! Its a house gecko!

5. LiveSquid

LiveSquid Elite Member

Just that generic, huh? Oh well. At least I know. Its a little disappointing though.:p

6. venus

venus Founding Member

Sorry...were ya lookin for something fancy, lol like......Hemidactylus frenatusor, I'm sure theres more :p

7. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

Hey there...it really looks like the same house gecko i get here in my house...they are an alien species as will it be were you live...they colonize everywhere...! I have no idea if it even occurs where you are but seriously i would really take my chances and say it is the same. Hemidactylus mabouia, Moreau's Tropical House Gecko. I really have no idea if ot has colonized North America at all but i would not be surprized at all.

8. LiveSquid

LiveSquid Elite Member

Hey, at least he's tropical! I saw it online as the Phantom Gecko too. I think Im gonna go with that one. LOL

9. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

You're all right in that it is a house gecko, but the name "house gecko" applies to any gecko in the genus Hemidactylus, so there are many different kinds. To give LiveSquid some credit, the phantom gecko is another name for Moreau's tropical house gecko ;)

However, this is a juvenile Mediterranean house gecko (Hemidactylus turcicus). They're not native here, but they are an introduced species in much of the south and are now quite common. Here's some pics I took myself of Mediterranean house geckos I caught in Texas. Keep in mind that like many geckos, they can lighten and darken their skin pigmentation, depending on the lighting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

yeah i see it...nice one matt! what house geckos have made it into the states..?

11. grim

grim Elite Member

That is definatley a common house gecko, they are found all over the southern parts of this country, i used to use them for feeders.... Anyways you live in New orleans eh? I just moved from covington across the causeway. How are things coming in NO? I Haven't been there in 3 months...and probably won't see the city for a few years now.

12. Brittone05

Brittone05 Elite Member

Aww cute - they look like Moorish geckos too lol

I wish we had little critters like that over here - about all we ever se are hedgehogs and if you go tot he right places, adders lmao

13. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Oh geez, I dunno. It's always changing. I don't even know how extensive the range has gotten on some of these species, but the following can now be found in the US:

H. turcicus - Mediterranean, Turkish, and sometimes common
    (Last I checked they're found in 15 southern states and are the most common of the introduced house geckos.)

H. frenatus - common, spiny-tailed, chichak "name comes from the noise they make, not a geographic location"
    (Upon further research, juvenile H. frenatus look pretty much identical to juvenile H. turcicus, unless the pics I've seen are mis-IDed. However, last I checked H. frenatus was found only in Florida and Hawaii, but that could have changed since. Keep in mind that H. turcicus is often mistaken for this species too. Still, in light of the similarities between juveniles, I won't completely rule out this species as a possibility.)

H. garnotii - Indo-Pacific, fox "for their long, fox-like snout"
    (I don't think they're found outside Florida and Hawaii yet, but don't quote me on that.)

H. mabouia - Moreau's tropical, phantom, tropical, cosmopolitan, Amerafrican
    (I haven't heard anything on these geckos being found outside of Florida yet.)

Cyrtopodion scabrum - rough-tailed, roughtail
    (Though technically not a house gecko, it's often called one because it looks like one. They're limited to a small population in Texas as far as I know.)

Most non-native house geckos in the US are still relatively restricted in their populations, except the Mediterranean, which has been found as far north as my "lovely" Maryland. I'm not sure how old my data is though, so other species could have been added to the mix since last I checked. The current species' ranges could also have expanded or collapsed some since then.

Moorish geckos (Tarentola mauritanica) are somewhat similar in appearance, especially as juveniles, but there are subtle differences. Plus I don't believe they're found in Louisiana. I *think* the US does have some introduced populations though, but I can't recall for sure. Gah, I haven't done research in so long. It used to be a major pasttime of mine :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.