This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Dinosaurs

Discussion in 'Salamanders & Newts' started by tracij, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

that actually looks like a waterdog. With the size and colour of the gills and the patrern on the body. Those change to salamanders quckly so if his gills start shrinking don't worry.

2. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

baby salies have those too..... easy mistake to make, don't blame you.

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Interesting so there are more funny looking amphibians?

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! I meant what physical traits was she using to determine which species they were.
    Thought I might learn something new!;)
    Nope Larval tiger salamanders also have them. They are in the same family.

5. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

There's waterdogs and mudpuppys and axolotls and all sorts of gilled lizard looking things!

6. Ripkabird98

Ripkabird98 Elite Member

My mudpuppy looked just like that, but the gills were brown and black.

7. mzconnie70809

mzconnie70809 Member

His gills were more knobby and less frilly when he was given to me.He has grown a lot and seems healthy.Axolotl site has great pics and the dark ones look like Bob.Thanx,ya'll.

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

You did learn something new! That I am an idiot...or did you already know that?

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not At all!
    If I thought that,... I would not have asked!

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Sure...I totally believe you!

11. mzconnie70809

mzconnie70809 Member

big Bob.JPG metamorphosis in progress.JPG Appreciate all the info from everyone.Bob is losing the feathery gear and beginning to spend time on his island.He has a bowl of sand in the shallow area and climbs in there with his head out of the water.I'm guessing he may not be an axolotl.Reading up on the care he needs as he changes.Starting to gradually lower the water a bit and adding to the island.Whatever he is,he is cool.

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

13. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Yep. Waterdog like I suspected. Once he finishes his change he will need an all land enclosure with a shallow dish to soak in. Hes a cutie.

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Water dogs turn into tiger salamanders don't they?

15. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Of course.

16. mzconnie70809

mzconnie70809 Member

I'm going to start on a terrarium and have added more dry areas in his current home.Reading what I can to provide him with a nice new pad.Still not sure of when he'll need to be moved.He climbs out and sits in a puddle.Spends most of the time in the water but seems to come up sometimes for air.

17. mzconnie70809

mzconnie70809 Member

011.JPG Woke up this morning to find Bob burrowed into a flower pot. Going to go get him a new home and the supplies he needs this morning.

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yep I am gonna say he is trying to tell you something! :D

19. mzconnie70809

mzconnie70809 Member

Bob is officially a salamander...and a male from what I can tell.He has his new home.Stays hidden most of the time under a piece of decaying wood.I put another bit of wood,pothos ivy,organic soil and a few leaves over that. He's in a cool dark area beneath a 20 gallon tank. ATTACH=CONFIG]24055[/ATTACH] View attachment 24056 008.JPG

Attached Files:

• 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      81.5 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      86.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  20. naturenut

naturenut Member

Yeah, if you got them at the mall, then they are water-dogs (larval tiger salamanders). If they are fully metamorphosized, which they should be at this point or else they are neotenic, then yes, they will do fine together. Tiger salamanders are actually relatively social, always hiding in the some spot (think leopard geckos) so as long as you feed them separately they should do great. Just watch for early signs of aggression, in case you have a troublemaker on your hands :p.