This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Dinosaurs

Discussion in 'Salamanders & Newts' started by tracij, Mar 4, 2013.

1. tracij

tracij New Member

I have had my baby dinosaurs for about 6 years. I was wondering if I could put them in the same tank, or would they hurt each other?

2. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

First off what type of animal are you talking about? What sex are they? How big is the tank you wish to put them in?

If your just here trying to be a troll and think your funny I ask that you leave now and save us all time to help people who really need it!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  3. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I think they are technically salamanders.

4. tracij

tracij New Member

I am sorry if I have offended anyone, I am new to this page a was just asking a question. I do t know what kind they are or what sex they are. I will do some research and try to find out. All I know they were gifts to my children that there grandma got them at the mall about 6 years ago.

5. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Hi! Can you post photos of them?

6. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

No. Post pictures through Photobucket or Flickr. We would be able to tell you more. All I know is there are salamanders that are nicknamed baby dinosaurs and the people at the mall who sell them give incorrect housing and care info or so I've heard. I'm a snake person. Lol. I can tell you almost anything about snakes not salamanders.

7. riderx4life

riderx4life Well-Known Member

I think they are talking about a tiger salamander....

8. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

"Baby dinosaurs" could be anything, from small geckos, to anoles, to salamanders. Pictures will definitely help :D

9. katie41586

katie41586 Elite Member

Guys stop being jerks, she obviously has baby dinosaurs. That would have been a good troll though.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Indeed! Don't be so quick on the trigger!
    I often see flea market vendors selling what are labeled as "baby dinosaurs."
    They are axolotls or larval tiger salamanders.

11. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

And "baby dragons" are often anoles.

12. troymclure

troymclure Elite Member

are they black with yellow or orange splotches?

13. Merlin

The ones I see for sale are the larval form, not adults.
    In fact I just heard from my neice who had bought a "baby dinosaur" thinking it was an axoltl. But it turned out to be a tiger salamader.

14. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

At the ones I've seen they sell the grey ish "mudpuppies" or can be "water dogs" those are both difference species of tiger salamanders and those change from the larvae form to salamander quicker than most axolotls who can stay in the larva stage for a while.

15. mzconnie70809

mzconnie70809 Member

I had no idea these would live so long! My daughter bought one of these so-called baby dinosaurs for her kids.He was in a tiny little container and came with a care sheet that said little to nothing about proper care, with a phone number that was disconnected.I knew that couldn't be good,whatever he was.I begged and traded and I have Bob now.I put him in a 20 gallon tank I had just swapped my turtles out of.He eats pellets,chases little fish and I tried to give him a cricket but he wasn't interested.I'd like to know more about him and his care.Going to net some little crawfish for my tanks and see if he will eat those.Pet store lady said no small gravel in the tanks since he sucks it up with his food.I put large stones,and a glass dish to let those pellets sink onto.I read where they can be territorial,so I haven't looked into getting Bob some company.I took some pics so if anyone would have a clue as to whether he is a tiger or a Mexican,lemme know.I would really appreciate it. 020.JPG 016.JPG

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

17. mzconnie70809

mzconnie70809 Member

Thanxs a bunch! Going to read more about them at that website right now.

18. Merlin

Thala how are you determining this? I was under the impression that they are very hard to distinguish.

19. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

How is she determining if its an axolotl? I am guessing by looking at the pictures the OP posted above Thalas comment. lol

20. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I looked at the pictures and noticed they have those funny frilly gill things...as far as I know axolotl a are the only things that have them.