This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Corn Won't Eat

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Croissant, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Croissant

Croissant New Member

I got a baby corn snake (3ish months old now I would guess) about 3 weeks ago and have tried feeding him 5 times now. He is far more interested in attempting to escape his tank (which he can't). I have a 20 gallon long tank, with a hot and cold side (hot stays betwee 85-90 degrees and cool side stays around 70-75). He has a hidey hole on each end and 3 sticks that he climbs on. He has a water bowl that I put fresh water in once a week. I asked the person I purchased him from what he was feeding him, and he verified that he was being fed frozen-thawed pinkies, which is what I've been feeding him (or trying to at least), but he criticized me for feeding him frozen mice from Petco instead of giving me actual guidance on how to feed him (I live in Alaska and we don't have any other stores to purchase frozen mice from). I've tried warming up the pinkies, cutting them open, cutting them in half, wiggling them... He just isn't interested in eating and it's starting to concern me. Does anyone have advice or an idea of what's going on? He doesn't seem lethargic, his colors are strong, and he's very active. Is this normal?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Frozen mice are frozen mice. Shouldn't be an issue where they are purchased.
    Has the snake shed since you have had it? At that age they shed frequently and most snakes won't feed in shed cycle.

3. Croissant

Croissant New Member

Hello! Thank you for your response! He has not shed since I've had him, however, he doesn't look like he's in a shed cycle yet. His eyes are clear and his colors are still bright, other than maybe his tail is a little duller? But I wonder if that's just me imagining it.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If it's one of the amelanistic morphs it can be hard to tell until right before the shed.