This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Caiman Lizard

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by BarelyBreathing, Feb 28, 2012.

1. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

I just thought I'd share a poorly taken cell phone picture of a baby red headed caiman lizard at my favorite reptile store. :D

IMAG1028.jpg

Attached Files:

2. justor

justor Elite Member

:x

These guys are so on my list. That must be a pretty legit shop.

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

What a cutie, he kind of has this evil look in his eye, but still adorable!

4. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

They like water? Woah

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

What a sweetie! I hope it goes to a proper home if they are selling it.

6. Vers

Vers Elite Member

A pretty rare site for sure...you should buy it, otherwise it will probably go home with someone with a 20 gallon tank filled with calci sand and a tiny bowl of water choosing to feed it crickets and mealworms instead of mollusks (I hope that pushes you a bit!). [guilt-trip]You know you want to save it![/guilt-trip]

7. BarelyBreathing

Nobody who's going to put it in a 20 gallon with calci sand is going to pay nearly a thousand dollars for a lizard. Ha.

I may buy it, but right now they're having trouble getting her to eat (like 99% of captive caiman lizards). The plus thing is, it's captive bred, but I still don't want the burden of having an unestablished animal that is known to perish in captivity.

8. Vers

Vers Elite Member

...What some people do with their money...all it takes is an oblivious person with deep pockets and an urge to empty them.

Yeah, I've read it's difficult acclimating them. Do they have her on snails?

9. Vers

Vers Elite Member

The more I look at it the more I want to design and build an 8x4x4 paladarium for it.

10. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

That would be sweet vers! We're would I get huge snails like that? And are they expensive

11. BarelyBreathing

The awesome thing is, this store is really good about educating people on the reptiles they sell. Right now she is being force fed. She won't take the snails they have. One of the guys said he was going to get a few different kinds tomorrow (which is now today) and try her on them and see what she'll take. I'll try to remember to update everybody when I go in there next.

12. Vers

Vers Elite Member

A quick google search pulled up apple snails as a recommended snail species but I'd assume most feeder snails would do. Snails, like roaches and crickets, can be farmed yourself--offer them the right conditions and they will breed like crazy.

13. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

I'll try tht when I get my own pad! Snails would be my savs favorite

14. Vers

Vers Elite Member

That's good to hear--hopefully she starts feeding soon.

15. BarelyBreathing

Yep, and that's what they're supposed to be trying now.

16. Vers

Vers Elite Member

They are said to eat clams, crayfish and insects in the wild as well. I also found this on the MiamiZoo website...

17. BarelyBreathing

Cool, thanks for the info! I'll pass it along. She hasn't gone after bugs, though, and currently is much too small for clams or crayfish. That's definitely great information, though.

18. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Small or shucked clams may be worth a try. Small crays might be as well.

19. BarelyBreathing

I'll see what I can do. I may have to pick some up and bring them in (heck, I know I have some animals who will go crazy for them!)

Hey Matt, why don't you grab her? They ship. :D

20. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Friends of mine female just had babies, they will eat fish and crickets, maybe try throwing the crickets in the water would help.