This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Brazilian Rainbow Boa Refusing Food

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Flish, May 3, 2017.

1. Flish

Flish New Member

Hi all, I'd really appreciate your help.

I got a baby brb from petco a little over a month ago and it has been refusing/recoiling from fuzzies I've offered it. I'm using frozen-thawed mice that I then heat a bit extra with a blow dryer. I've been waiting 5-14 days between each offering as I've heard will lessen stress for the snake, but every time it seems scared of the mouse. What I'm worried about is that the people at petco had assist fed it a couple of times which may have been traumatic. Do any of you have any tips on getting it eating? Thank you and I posted the specs of my setup below.

Setup- 51 qt sterile plastic tub with holes drilled in for ventilation. Under tank heater from reptile basics with on/off thermostat set to 85 covering 1/3 of the bottom (probe in between pad and bottom of tub to get an accurate read). Two hides on either side of the tank for gradient, plus a humid hide with sphagnum moss in it. Ambient temperature is around 80 but hot/cool sides are at 85 and 75 respectively. Waterbowl and some plastic plants as well.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Never having worked with this species yet, I can't offer you much advice. Sounds like it's time to try different or live prey though, and was it eating on its own when you got it from them? Assist feeding is ALWAYS stressful, and should only be done as a last resort, and if the snake had not fed several times on it's own, it should not have been sold yet.

Merlin likes this.
  3. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

I know this is an old thread, but have you tried leaving the prey in overnight? I hope this has been resolved though...

4. We got our BRB from Petco as well. It has been two weeks and I've tried everything. Still won't eat!

5. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Kick that temp up to 90. How are you measuring temps? With the probe in between the pad and the bottom of the plastic it's likely alot cooler inside than the temp reads. Do you have an IR gun or thermometer? What is your humidity levels?

6. My inside temp is 80 on the cooler side and humidity is 85. I have the dial gauges not a probe. I have read that I need digital gauges and I will buy them. He just ate two fuzzies inside his cage. I've been told never to feed in his cage but, it has been two weeks.

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

The whole not feeding in cage thing is complete bull. If you never handle the animal it may develope a conditioned feeding response, but otherwise there is nothing wrong with feeding in the cage, in fact I recommend it, it is less stress for the animal and easier on the keeper. It does require some common sense during feeding time, like not sticking your hand in the cage right after the snake eats and such, but all my snakes are fed in their enclosures, including my 6 green tree pythons, most of which I can handle quite easily.