This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Boy Sulcata

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by hennisntacanibal, Feb 12, 2010.

1. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

So I got a baby sulcata in October and the guy I got him from said he was about three months old. He's a voracious eater, but I'm kind of worried, because he hasn't grown at all. I've got a full spectrum light on his enclosure twelve hours a day, plus a heat lamp that's kept around eightyfive to ninety degrees on the warm side. I feed him dandelion greens daily to twice daily, as much as he wants, and sometimes I give him collard or spring mix as a treat. He's active, alert, poops and pees regularly (usually all over me or my bed! :) ) and gets a calcium supp three or four times a week. I noticed today that it looks like he's getting a bit big for his shell. Are there any more experienced torty owners that know the growth rate of these guys within their first year of life? I have a few pictures of him now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any help or advice you guys have would be awesome!

2. avoidtheboyd

avoidtheboyd Elite Member

Im not a tortoise owner but ive got to say hes a beauty!

3. hennisntacanibal

Well I ordered a book... It's supposed to be a good one, pretty much all about sulcatas. Hopefully there will be some info on growth rates in there since no one really seems to know about it... :)

4. Orca

Orca Elite Member

He's adorable :) I don't know about their growth rates either though. Where is Jacqui? She knows a ton about tortoises so hopefully she'll be around soon to help.

5. Ashuresque

Ashuresque Elite Member

Again, not much I can help with, but what a cute little guy! The first picture of him eating is precious.

6. hennisntacanibal

Thanks! I think he's pretty cute, too. I'm also in love with the fact that he has the potential to live longer than I do, so I'll never have to say goodbye. I got the book in, and for anyone with a sulcata I would highly recommend it. It's called Sulcatas: African Spurred Tortoises in Captivity by Ross Gurley. It's part of the professional breeders' series and is an EXCELLENT resource. Unfortunately, it doesn't have anything about the growth rate in a year, but it did say that in captivity, sulcatas can get to fullgrown in as little as EIGHT years! Wowie!

7. The JD

The JD Elite Member

If he's eating and you have the right lighting, he'll grow just fine. Chances are he has grown but in only 4-5 months time it's hard to notice unless you're actually keeping track of measurements.