This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Box Turtle Isn't Growing...

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Melissa747, May 5, 2012.

1. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

I've had her for over 6 months now and she hasn't grown one bit. She seems healthy, she eats and goes in her water dish.. She has all the requirements she needs.. She's just not growing... What's going on??

2. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

Box Turtles grow very slow. Most of them live well over 100 years. In six months time you will see little to no growth specially when you look at her every day. When we live with an animal and see them every day we do not notice the growth as much as someone who only sees it every few weeks.

3. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

She's an eastern box turtle and she's the size of a quarter maybe a bit bigger. Do you think if I put her out in the sun during the summer she'd do better? I was looking at getting the zoo med tortoise house for her and leaving her outside during the day in it.. Only on the warm days though.

Woahhh, she's actually 9 months old..... Uh oh.

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Does she have UVB inside? She'll need it too help her absorb nutirents and help her shed.

I honestly would worry to much keeping her outside as a baby. She's going to look like a tastey snack to racoons, dogs, cats and birds of prey. Torts grow very slowly, I would weight her once a month to make sure she is growing.

5. Vers

Vers Elite Member

It might be a good idea to grab a pair of calipers and a digital food scale to keep track of growth rate and weight. As mentioned above EBTs are notoriously slow growers and can take up to 10 years before they reach true adulthood/sexual maturity, somewhere between 4 and 6 inches long. From that point it can take several more years before reaching maximum size, some up to 8". Since most start out ~1-1.25" you can get a good idea of exactly how slow their growth rate truly is. Would you mind sharing with us your current husbandry in detail? I know you said you've got everything down pat but it can never hurt :)

6. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

She's in a rather small tank at the moment. Mainly because she's only the size of a quarter and doesn't move much. She usually just burrows. I plan on moving her into a larger one this week. The enclosure I'm getting seems pretty safe since it can be used as an Outdoor or an indoor enclosure. It has locks on it. I use repti bark as substrate, water dish big enough for her to soak in, I give her can o snails, dark greens and fruits, she has a UVB and the temp stays around the 80s.

7. Sheltowee

Sheltowee Active Member

I would feed her more insects (worms, crickets, meal worms and rollie pollies are a favorite) - hatchlings usually won't eat any fruits or veggies and need extra protein from insects for their growth demands. Remember UVB doesn't go through glass and must be at most 12 inches from turtle for it to get enough UVB which is vital to calcium metabolism for shell growth and a healthy immune system - also UVB output diminishes over time and bulbs should be replaced every 6 months. As long as it has plenty of insect food and water, high humidity, at least 12 hours of light and effective UVB don't worry about the growth rate - it aries greatly in box turtles - some only grow to 4-5 inches others 5-6 inches so a small one might grow at half the rate of a large one.

8. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

Oh okay! :)
    I just moved her into her new home. She seems rather happy. I have the basking lamp which gets to about 88 at most and the UVB light is also right next to it. She's in the Zoo Med Tortoise house! It's pretty awesome. I have forest floor bedding to keep the humidity, it holds it pretty well. Is there any other bedding that holds humidity? I'm afraid she'll poke her eye or something cause it's fine moist wood chips.

I feed her snails in a can that I bought at a pet store. She devours them. She also eats bananas and strawberries. :D

9. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Those houses look pretty nice!

10. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

So I recently started giving her mealworms.. Omg she's like in love with them. She eats them like a pig! Can I just continue to feed her these for a bit?

11. justor

justor Elite Member

Mealworms are a good food item for box turtles. My friends mom keeps a few of them and they love their mealies. Have you tried feeding her any crickets?

12. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

Nope, not yet. Those are next though. She ate 14 meal worms today.. I was like " omggg how do you even fit them all in your tiny stomach!" :p

She seems to be the only healthy repti I have at the moment. Ugh. :(