This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Black Racers Not Eating.

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by DragonWaffle, Sep 11, 2014.

1. DragonWaffle

DragonWaffle Member

I hatched out 6 Northern Black Racers in mid-late August and I've been trying to give them pinkies every week but they never are interested in them at all. There wasn't much information that I could find anywhere on this species, especially babies. Anyone have any experience with them? They are on aspen bedding and are in an arboreal tank. I have a heat wire wrapped around the bottom of the tank that stretches around the whole thing twice, keeping it warm around the edges.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What are the temperatures in the tank?

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I second the request for temperatures. Have you tried offering something a little smaller?

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I have had my share of picky hatchlings here are a few tricks that seem to work. That is after you have your temps sorted out.
    #1 put each one in a small container, and keep it simple, I use paper towel, a water dish and a hide ( I have my hatchlings in 4"x10"x3" containers) In a big cage they are likely not even noticing the food.
    #2 try cutting the pinkies in half (tail to head) sometimes the "juices" get them excited about eating
    #3 scenting, dip pinkies in the water from a can of tuna, rub them on a lizards(if you have one), rub them on a frog, wash them with original scent dawn( weird but it works!)
    #4 try a live pinky. Some just need that movement to get them interested in eating. Most switch to thawed the next feeding
    #5 if its past 2 months I will force feed about an inch of an adult mouse tail, get it wet and slowly push it into the mouth, the baby should start swallowing it.

5. DragonWaffle

DragonWaffle Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Most definitely will try some out. The pinkies I've been trying to feed to them were live and very tiny. Perfect size. I'm in college right now so when I get home I will check the temps in their cage.

6. DragonWaffle

DragonWaffle Member

I just turned off the heat wire (Until colder months) and put a basking light on top instead. The ground was between 80-85 F before I turned off the wire.

7. Merlin

They should have a basking spot of 90 degrees.
    How are you measuring the temps?

Also wild baby black rats are prone to feed heavily on invertebrates as well as small lizards. You might try a cricket or even an earthworm.

8. DragonWaffle

DragonWaffle Member

They aren't black rats. I wish they were. They would be easier to get to eat. These guys are pretty picky.

9. Merlin

DUH! I meant to type black racers! Guess I had rats on the brain! But the rest of the post is accurate!

10. DragonWaffle

DragonWaffle Member

Well, they did it! They ate! Put some tuna water on the pinkies and they ate them!