This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Ball Python- Stressed Or Just Odd?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by rochelle lindsey, Oct 18, 2017.

1. I am a first time snake owner. I got a baby banana ball python about 3 weeks ago from the reptile show in Tucson, AZ. To my knowledge she's about 2 or 3 months. Not sure. My friend who has a ton of experience with snakes of all breeds watched her for a few days for me and told me she's an adventurous snake who seems to like being handled. I fed her a pinkie yesterday and they way she ate was odd. Instead of striking it, she would only even look at it once I set it down next to her. She then poked it with her nose and simply wrapped her mouth around it and lifted her upper body up off the ground and gulped it down. I left her rest in her tank for 24 hours after wards. Since I fed she rested/slept in her hide for about 8 hours or so and now she's non stop cruising/trying to escape. Her temps and humidity is fine so I'm not sure if this is normal behavior or if shes not okay in some way or just an odd ball. Help!

2. Forgot to add, the pinkie I fed her was frozen thawed.

3. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Alot of snakes do this, especially when young. However, I have a feeling that a pinkie is entirely too small for your snake. Most ball pythons will take hoppers right out of the egg. The size of food needs to be the same girth as the snakes largest part. When they eat there should be a very noticeable lump.

rochelle lindsey likes this.
  4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I usually start my hatching balls on rat fuzzies, just to give an idea, and at that age they are usually way past any pinkie stage. It actually sounds as if the snake is still hungry, or is hungry again already. Wait for the next regular feeding day though, might give you time to locate some larger prey items.

rochelle lindsey likes this.
  5. That is what I will do! Thank you

TamJam likes this.