This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Alligator in Ohio-found in Someone's Yard

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Runningmom, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Probably someone's pet and it got too big or too troublesome so they let it go. Or it escaped its cage somehow.

3. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

Cute little guy, though!!!

4. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Yep I was thinking that too.

5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Looks like a Spectacled Caiman to me...

6. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Well, since I'm pretty sure it's legal to own caimans out here (pretty sure gators too) it wouldn't surprise me. I see them on CL a lot, actually...

7. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Looking again it seems to wide in the snout for caiman, boy it has been a long time sense I had one :p

8. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

Im sorry, I feel its irresponsible to sell those types of creatures to just anyone. it might not have escaped it may have been set free.. and whose pet or child could be harmed is sad. Let alone the horrible painful death it may end up having.

they let people drop off human babies at fire stations and hospitals If the parent cant deal... why cant we have these for reptiles ?
    Safe haven drops...

9. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

Im not saying illegal that would be nuts.. businesses make money I know... Just irritates me

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Some places have these...like in yuma its my house for some odd reason...there was one time I went to take the trash out and found a box with two RES on my door step.

And there are rescues people can drop them off at but that usually costs the owners as the rescues will charge a fee to help cover care costs.

11. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Yeah I am not sure if they are legal in Ohio. They passed stupid laws because of one crazy owner who let his animals go free then shot himself in the head. Then most of his exotic animals were shot and killed because they were a threat to society. There were bears and tigers and all kinds of exotics so for some reason they killed instead of hitting them with tranquilizer and taking to a Zoo. Even Jack Hanna was involved. It was sad. But I guess it would be sad if the animals killed someone's kids too. But making crazy laws over that was stupid in my opinion. I don't know what laws are about owning Caimans or any other type of alligator. I won't be having one lol

12. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

irks me that I cant have a hedgehog in Arizona.. but I understand the no ferrets in California. we have to prove we understand safety to drive and handle food. why not have to have a license for certain classes of pets.. like high aggressive predetors, those that can get X big, I mean other than what they think is exotic like Lions n tigers n bears.. oh my.

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

We can't have hedgehogs? Why?

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

So apparently hedgehogs will escape and take over arizona...

16. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Yes and then they will get 300 rednecks and have a mass cull!!! (The python thing in Florida)
    It's funny how the laws are. Like here in Alberta it's illegal to have rats, apparently we are the "worlds largest rat free zone"... They even have guys with 22's that "patrol" the borders shooting rats on sight...

17. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Really? Rat patrols? And I thought the US had dumb regulations.

18. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

That sounds like a waste of tax payers money. But geez what do I know? Lol. Seems like there are better things to worry about.

19. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Oh no! Forget the giant killer pythons and man eating crocs, we now have to be on the lookout for murderous hedgehogs that will take over the whole country!!!;) Some of this crap amazes me. It's gonna get to the point where all I can do when I get home is stare at the idiot box and pet my small breed dog because sheeple and irresponsible politicians don't care to find any facts when it's far easier to just ban things.

20. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

You have to have a very hard to get permit for caimans, gators, crocs, who knows what else in Ohio. 500.00 yearly, tough housing requirements, insurance, etc.

Sadly they built a large housing facility for wild exotic animals ppl can turn in animals for nothing. Senseless to turn them loose.