This Disappears When Logged In

baby african spur thigh tortise

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by AZ_Yote, Feb 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AZ_Yote

AZ_Yote Member

I purchased a baby african spur thigh tortise about 8 months ago. Seems to be very healthy, fit, and very active. He's about half the size of my computer mouse. I make sure to give him plenty of calcium with his food. I have looked for info on care and general knowledge for having them as a pet. I have found very little to help. Any suggestions or links that could help me?

2. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Hi There

It sounds like your tortoise should be a bit bigger in 8 months than that. Do you have UVB lighting on him? It is definitely a must have...What kind of food are you feeding him. DArk leafy greens have a lot of calcium, so be careful not to over do it with the vitamins. Collards, mustard, chicory, dandelions...are the best to feed...stay away from lettuce...it doesnt have any nutrients in it for your little guy. What temps does he have...I have a basking spot of 90 or so on the hot side......good luck with your little guy...I got mine a few months ago and he has already grown a lot......Lyn

3. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Ditto Lyn, UVB is essential as is a diet of high fiber foods. Mine gets collards daily and grasses occasionally, with butternut squash once a week.

You can look here...http://www.chelonia.org/ for guides and care info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.