This Disappears When Logged In

awesome tadpole video!

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by CodyW, Oct 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

We watched this video the other day in ecology class, we were discussing prey morphology, anyways I thought it was the coolest thing and would like to share, enjoy :)

http://www.pitt.edu/~relyea/movie.html

2. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Wow, that was great, Did you get to see the whole video? I was thinking about buying it if it's any good.

3. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Unfortunately no, I can talk to my professor and see what he has to say if you would like.

4. Todd

Todd Elite Member

Excellent! I loved it! :) Thank you.

5. Nazkghet

Nazkghet Member

Whoa!

Wow, that a really *is* an awesome tadpole video. I had no idea that they could do that. Thanks for the post! :D

6. The D

The D Mango Empress

thanks so much for posting that! realy realy neat. =^.^=

7. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

What did your professor have to say about the "Anti-predator" tadpoles on the issue about them taking longer to become frogs?

8. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Sweet! tahnks for sharing :D

9. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Well this is old and my opinions have changed a little since we covered this video in ecology lecture. It was explained very well with some diagrams of predator prey relations as well as population capacity and density. The main point expressed is that the growth rate is so much faster before they become "turbo tadpoles (The larger ones that are effected by the hormones)" that it only makes since for them to not express this trait unless there is absolute need. I think the result of the hormone was a delayed development of posterior appendages by almost three times the amount compared to a non affected tadpole, thus three times as many offspring as it takes to produce one affected offspring. Thus as more dragonfly larvae appear less tadpoles reach maturity which leads to less larvae then resulting in more tads.

It's interesting to note that this is mostly among related siblings that the affects take place. In other words if a non related tad gets eating right next to another tadpole he shouldn't be affected by the hormones.

I'll look through my notes tommorow and see if I'm remembering this right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.