This Disappears When Logged In

Avicularia Care Guide

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by biollantefan54, Jul 28, 2015.

1. biollantefan54

biollantefan54 Elite Member

This is a little care sheet I wrote up for anyone wanting to know how *I* keep Avicularia with no problems. I hope this helps a few people :)

• The genus Avicularia or the 'pinktoe' tarantulas are a family of arboreal (tree dwelling) tarantulas that have coloration like no other tarantula. They come in all sorts of colors and are very easy to care for, this results in many beginners getting them only to ask "What's wrong with my tarantula!?" A quick Google search of "Pinktoe tarantula care" will result in hundreds of supposedly correct, care for this species which, more often than not, is not actually right. Most care sheets will tell you to keep them with tons of humidity and to mist often. That would be true if you wanted a dead tarantula! Most of us however, do not.

First off, they live in trees so they need tall tanks to give them room to climb. The slings are a little more sensitive than the adults are so pay special attention to this part....THEY DO NOT NEED A SWAMPY CAGE! This is the absolute, number one mistake beginners make. The care sheets say to give them a humid cage so they flood it and mist it and make it look like a tsunami just landed. They are indeed from a tropical rainforest but they live in trees, up at the top. There is always a breeze blowing, drying everything out up there.

A few good things to add in the sling enclosures are pieces of bark, leaned at an angle, a few fake plants, some things to anchor webbing to, a happy Avicularia is a webby Avicularia! For adults, do the same thing you did for slings, but bigger. Adults love hiding in bark tubes, it allows a a place to create it's retreat. Give some bark, fake plants, perhaps some branches, just things to climb and web on, like the slings. For substrate, give them something soft. Avoid bark chips for ANY species of tarantula, the tarantula may fall on it and get injured. Some good choices are cocofiber, peat moss, potting soil (without fertilizers or chemicals) and top soil (without any fertilizers or chemicals).

For slings that are under 1/2 inch in leg-span, mist their web or one small part of their enclosure purely for hydration, NOT for humidity, just enough for water. If they are 1/2 an inch or larger, give them a small water bowl. A bottle cap works perfect for this, they won't drown. Like any tarantula, you shouldn't keep them too hot or too cold either. A good temperature range is around 68(70 with slings, they are fragile)-85 degrees Fahrenheit (20-30 degrees Celsius)

Feed them once a week to once every two weeks, don't get worried if it doesn't eat unless it's opisthosoma (abdomen) starts to shrink. Avics love roaches and crickets. Feeding may be more difficult than terrestrials since they will be higher up. You can drop the food in their web, it usually gets their attention. Make sure the prey item isn't bigger than the tarantula, a good size prey item is about as big as it's carapace, if it starts getting chunky, slow down on your feeding schedule.

One of the most important things to put in an Avicularia cage is Cross Ventilation. This is where you poke holes in the sides of the tank to allow a breeze through the cage. I can not stress how important this is to do. Putting holes on the sides is MUCH better than on the top, putting too many holes in the top of the enclosure will ruin the micro-climate. The main killer of Avics is moist stagnant air. The only humidity needed is a water bowl, occasional misting however will not kill them, but keep it at that, occasional and very little. Another thing that really needs to be said is SADS is not real. SADS stands for Sudden Avic Death Syndrome which roughly translates, I am not taking proper care of my tarantula. It supposedly is where an Avicularia, usually a sling dies for no apparent reason. This is usually because they keep it way too humid. With all that in mind....this should not keep you from wanting an Avicularia tarantula. They are amazingly colorful and are very easy to take care of. If you take care of them the correct way, it is actually less work! Go out there and get you an Avicularia or better yet...10.

If you didn't want to read all that, short and sweet version:

Tall tank, dry substrate, water bowl, and cross ventilation. :)

TJOHNSON722 likes this.
  2. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

cool care sheet :D