This Disappears When Logged In

Automatic Humidifier?

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by rrcoolj, Jun 14, 2010.

1. rrcoolj

rrcoolj Elite Member

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Now I have never installed one of these. Although I may be in the near future, thanks for the link. I would think installing it a few inches above the substrate would work best.
    Warm air rises and this will also keep the substrate from drying out in that area.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

That is such a big cage, I would just stick the whole humidifier right in there. Its a cool mist, so there is no chance for any burns.

4. rrcoolj

rrcoolj Elite Member

Thanks for relieving my worries. Prolbem with sticking it in the cage is that tegus are buldosers. If it's on the ground it will get messed up.

5. snubber

snubber Elite Member

Build a shelf in the cage to keep it away from the bulldozer.

6. schlegelbagel

You can also put it under the tank (if its elevated) and run the PVC pipe through the bottom.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Most of the humidity features for larger animals I have seen have the pipe go over the top of the cage and vent into it from there. The vapor will settle.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think the easiest way is to make a hole in the floor of the enclosure and attach a pipe to the humidifier, and pass it up into the tank (that`s if you are raising the tank off the floor). Are you using a sand/soil substrate, if yes. how deep?

9. rrcoolj

rrcoolj Elite Member

Thanks for the comments guys. Using a shelf won't help either because the enclosure is only so tall the tegu would still be able to get too it. For substrate I am using 1' of cypress mulch. Its a large particle substrate that works great at keeping the humidity up. The floor is elevated 2in so i could run it through the bottom but then the vapor would settle to the bottom of the tube when it's off and I heard that is bad. The total height of the cage is 3'. It would be alot easier for me to just run it through the top. What would be the problem in that?

10. schlegelbagel

No problem, just extra pipes to run ;)

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

O.k, how about you place the humidifier outside the enclosure (on the floor, at the side), then run the pipe through a hole maybe 12inches off the ground, (the humidifiers are around that height anyway), it WILL get quite damp in the immediate area, so place a plastic water container that would catch the excess build up.
    Can you use a deeper layer of the bark, I use orchid bark to a depth of 4 or 5 inches in my tank?

12. rrcoolj

rrcoolj Elite Member

1' isn't enoguh? it's more than twice 4-5". Runnign it from the ouside then inside over a water bowl wouldn't be a problem at all.

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Sorry, I looked at the 1 and thought it was an inch, now I see it`s a foot, which is fine! ( My mind was asleep, it happens quite often). So what you will need to do is just fix a piece of pipe from the outlet on the humidifier (they come with different shaped nozzles), then just drill a hole of appropriate size, it should work perfectly.

14. rrcoolj

rrcoolj Elite Member

Thanks a bunch!

For now I will be using a regular pressurized misting bottle but I plan on installing the humididier soon.