This Disappears When Logged In

Argentine Boa (BCO)

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by SMB13, Nov 15, 2010.

1. SMB13

SMB13 Well-Known Member

I've been wanting to get an Argentine Boa lately, but I can't seem to find any care sheets for one. I was wondering if anyone here know anything about them. I heard that they're similar in care to regular boas (BCC/BCI), but need a slightly lower temp/humidity areas. I've heard that they're also hardier snakes all around, albeit being a bit nippy when they're younger. If anyone can validate or add info, it would be great.

I'd also like to know how big of an enclosure I would need for him. I know females can get from 10-12 feet long, but I'm not sure what size would be appropriate. I also heard that they can live in smaller spaces for their size.

Thanks for the help guys!

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

If I remember correctly thay are also on appendix 1 of CITES, hence you might find it extremely difficult to locate one (and the 1 you get might not be a real BCO)

3. SMB13

SMB13 Well-Known Member

I've seen one in a local pets store, but I know a breeder who knows a breeder who has some. It's a long shot, but I really want to try and get one.

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

There patterns are really awesome. From what I have read the care is the same as with any boa with the exception of possible temp ranges, which I believe are lower than most boas. I am not sure as to humidity. My suggestion would be to get in contact with the breeder. If he is getting them to breed he is caring for them properly.

5. SMB13

SMB13 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan to me. I would love to have one, they're really beautiful.

The only other thing I need to figure is the size of a tank. Do you think a 4'L x 2.5'D x 2'T would work? Judgment of course being based off of other boas.

6. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

That size should be fine. If i remember correctly BCO's are smaller than Red Tails, more like common boa size

7. SMB13

SMB13 Well-Known Member

I heard they're close to the same size, with females reaching a max of 12 foot (allegedly). However, I did hear that they are thicker (and they even look thicker). Hopefully I can get my hands on one, because they don't sound TOO difficult to keep.