This Disappears When Logged In

Are They Hard to Care For?

Discussion in 'Hognose Snakes' started by jaydsr2887, Mar 23, 2014.

1. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

hey im looking to get a snake and im jumping around the ideas of either a milk, corn or a hog and im wondering which is easier to care for.... im leaning more toward a hog then anything.....

2. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

All of them are relatively easy to care for. I have no experience with Hogs, though so I can't help you much

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A cornsnake is about as easy as it gets and I frequently recommend then as a beginner snake. Milks are about as easy although some of them can be a bit nippy. Hog nose are not that different but some of them seem to insist on only feeding on toads! Add in that they are rear fanged and mildly venomous. But you just about have to deliberately try and get envenomated.

4. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

ok so if I get one ill try a hog first...... I find them pretty interesting, yeah ive read they were rear fanged before.... I heard you basically have to shove your finger in their mouth to get envenomated... I heard they play dead too haha

5. naughtyboy

naughtyboy Member

i have all 3 and dont find any dif in difficulty really.
    hoggy likes to hood up and rattle his tail at same time all bluff though and funny as **** to watch.
    just get one that is established eating rodents.
    if you want something with loads of character then get hog.
    milks can be flighty and tend to musk a lot.
    my milk is in a 4ft and uses every inch of it as full of branches/ log shelves and greenery.
    my corns all like climbing and one that i made log hide for that i screwed upside down to his roof spends lot of his lazy time in there watching world go by, so will be fitting them into all my vivs.

6. JohnR

JohnR Member

If you want something bulletproof, then a corn snake is the one.

That said, I love my hogs! They are easy to keep too. Just get a Western Hognose from a breeder and you should be good to go. Most only sell ones that are feeding on mice anyway, so you shouldn't have to worry. But do ask just in case.