This Disappears When Logged In

Are My Fire Sal and Newt Tank Enclosures Adequate?

Discussion in 'Salamanders & Newts' started by nightstalker, Dec 1, 2012.

1. nightstalker

nightstalker New Member

I have a fire salamander kept in a 20g long with dirt from my backyard mixed with eco earth and some tree bark hides. The soil seems to get pretty hard and I dont think he can burrow to good. I mist it twice a day to keep moisture up and the temps are around 66-70 degrees. he stays under the bark hide most of the time. Should I use a softer more fluffier substrate? like peat moss or something? He will also not eat anything but crickets. He used to eat nightcrawlers but now when I try to feed him he turns up his nose and literally turns away.
    fstank.jpg IMG-20120517-00114.jpg
    I also want to make sure that my ribbed newt is happy in his home. It is a 30gal land/water. Is there enough water space for him or should there be more? its about 4" high water.
    fbtstank.jpg fbtsnwt.jpg fbts.jpg What are your guys' thoughts and opnions? anythign need changing? I want to make sure they are all happy and healthy :)

2. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

The fire sal tank is ok, but you need to seperate the newt and the frogs, as they can poison eachother.. either by leaking toxins into the water or as a result of one biting the other thinking it was food or some other kind of fight. Just my 2c :)

3. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

I agree, seperate the toads from the newt. I like both your setups though, especially the newt's.:D

4. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

The soil looks chunky, you would be better soon mostly cocohusk. The only problem with that is it dries out fast but they love to burrow in it! My tigers take nightcrawlers like it ain't no ones business. They love roaches and occasionally meal worms. Be probably likes the crunch crickets and doesn't even want to look at the squishy worms, he's spoiled (;