This Disappears When Logged In

Aquarium Heater As Secondary Heat Source

Discussion in 'Heating' started by Sabrina, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Sabrina

Sabrina Well-Known Member

I am planning out a 30 gallon vivarium for a small group of Anoles and I am looking some feedback on an idea I've got.

The floor of the enclosure, according to my "vision" as of now, is going to have a waterfall and small pond incorporated with a false bottom. Because I will need a secondary heat source (especially for night) I was thinking, what about just heating the water?
    Logically, it would keep the enclosure warm and humid at night (and during the day) right?

Any input would be appreciated. :) Thanks!

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, you can heat the water, though it won`t actually heat the air to any extent, but good for humidity.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

How cool does the room get at night.

4. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

I believe that the water would keep the heat because water is not a good conductor of heat. I would look at getting a ceramc or nightbulb for heat. As for the water, it should be fine at room temp.

5. Sabrina

Thanks for the input everyone! :) I wasn't sure, so I thought I'd ask those more experienced with these things than I.

I plan to keep the tank in our hallway, which is pretty warm, depending on how high we have the furnace going.
    Would keeping a space heater in the hallway work?

I know that a heater in the water will help with humidity because I have kept many half full tanks for my African Dwarf Frogs and they always had water dripping from the lids, you can't see though the sides sometimes. Haha

6. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Just because they're called Under tank heaters doesn't mean they can't be used else where. I use them on the sides and depending on the size of the enclosure and size of the UTH it warms up into the mid to upper 80s which is pretty good. Just a thought...

7. Komododragon12

I agree with JoeyG; an undertank heater can be really useful.

8. Sabrina

You think that'd be a better idea? That's why I am here! :)
    I think I will still heat the water though... I like what it does for the humidity in the tank.

9. Komododragon12

Ok! A waterfall and live plants also maintain humidity well. Also a waterfall might stimulate drinking out of the pond, as anoles recognize water via the sun that glints off of water droplets, and if a waterfall is going, the pool will be buubling, and that can reflect light.

10. Sabrina

Yes I am planning to do a water fall or drip wall type of set up for that very reason. :)
    All of the plants will be live as well.
    I actually made a fountain for my (spoiled) dogs and cats because it is supposed to encourage the cats to drink more often.

11. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Are you saying that the anoles are going to drink out of the pond? And further because of sun glinting off of it? Where are you getting this information from? I seriously doubt those anoles are going to be drinking out of that pond no matter how clean the water is, or how often it cycles. Anoles do not drink out of pools of water. This is one reason why it's so important to mist the enclosure.

Also, consider pitting some fish into the pond to dispose of drowned crickets. :) and heated water in an enclosed tank will heat your enclosure to a degree, but mostly it will just provide humidity.

12. Sabrina

Thanks for the info, Aja! :D I read a few places that Anoles will drink from ponds but others say they will not.
    When I had my Anoles as a kid, I only saw them drinking from the leaves of plants and from the wet sponge that I'd put in their tank.
    However, I did once see one at the pet shop that appeared to be drinking from a dish, but I'm not sure if he actually was or not.

Another thing I was thinking about, I know that if crickets fell in the water dish when I had mine, the lizards would sometimes grab them out of the water and eat them - but only if they were still moving. This made me wonder, would they eat/try to eat the shrimp and/or small fish? I don't even know yet if the pond will be large enough for fish, but it will definitely be large enough for shrimp.

13. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I have shrimp in my Anolis tank. They have survived so far and it's been over a month, however mine are virtually invisible because they're ghost shrimp. I think even though anoles are attracted to movement, that your fish will be safe. It seems unlikely that an anole would venture into the water to "fish." but who knows :)

14. Komododragon12

I've read from multiple places that anoles only drink water droplets because they recognize them from the glint of the sun. I've also heard that some disruption of a pool of water, eg. a waterfall or air pump, would also glint sun. If I'm not right, then I'm not right, but the 2 green anoles I had as a kid would drink from their waterfall.

15. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Fair enough :)

16. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I think chameleons are for the most part the ones that are strict about not drinking from standing water. Everyone else I've seen they all seem to venture over to water dishes. Even both GTPs I have use their dish (though I do mist aswell). But I will admit I know nothing about Anoles :)

17. Sabrina

Hmmm. Well, now I can't wait to see if they will drink from the waterfall or not! Haha

18. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, have the camera at the ready, and if they do drink from the pool/waterfall you`ll have photographic evidence! (Then again, someone`s bound to say the pic`s been "fixed")...... ;)

19. Sabrina

Hahaha I will have to do that. Would make for a cute video anyway!

20. Komododragon12

Just found the quote in Green Anoles by Philippe de Vosjoli in the section "Watering": "Other methods include using a shallow container of water in which a section of aquarium tubing connected to an air pump has been placed. The bubbling water will create the light play that anoles use to recognize water."