This Disappears When Logged In

Aquarium Fans for Ventilation?

Discussion in 'Electricity/Wiring' started by tmw1093, Aug 13, 2010.

1. tmw1093

tmw1093 Active Member

So, here's my idea. I want to use aquarium fans to circulate the air in the vivarium I am building. I'd like to do something like this:

[​IMG]

But I would like the wires to be inside the wall, and if possible, to have the fan open to the room as well to provide some good air exchange. Basically I want to ventilate the viv and circulate the air inside it at the same time. I want to also have exhaust fans at the top of the viv to pull the old, stagnant air out into the room. Does anyone know how I would go about doing this?

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I have no fans in any of my enclosures, just vents at the bottom and the top, they do just fine. Heat naturally rises and creates a natural air exchange. Air flow like that will make it difficult to keep heat and humidity consistent. Maybe someone who does have fans can chime in.

3. Rob

Rob Elite Member

I would only use a fan on big enclosures or if you are haveing a problem. On my sav enclosure i used a computer fan set at a low speed to make the cool side drop in temp a little bit. Other than that i dont like to use them vents work fine for air exchange.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am not sure why you are calling that an aquarium fan. Its a computer fan and I have never seen anyone put one on an aquarium.

With what you are proposing, you better have some serious heating equipment as all you heat is going to be pulled out into the room itself.

And if the fan isn't open to the room it really isn't going to do anything anyway.
    The only way to put the cord inside the way would be to build a secondary false wall with a small space between the layers.

You are trying to make this far more complicated than it needs to be.

5. tmw1093

tmw1093 Active Member

The fans are for saltwater aquariums that have corals in them that require lighting to survive. The lights can sometimes get very hot, and they use these fans to cool down the lights so they don't raise the temperature of the water. Basically a computer fan, but a lot safer.

6. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

I agree 100% here with Merlin, you are making this far to complicated on yourself. What is this enclosure for that it needs to have air circulation? I have no vents on my CWD cage, and a open top. Its my largest cage and holds temperature just fine. And there is no "stagnent air." My RETF enclosure has live plants in it with 3 vents (no fans) and it doesnt produce mold or have any problems with air circulation. Temp's and Humidity's stay almost constant.

Ill bring up what Liz has mentioned before. Build your box with doors. Then get your temps and humidity setup. THEN worry about all the little stuff you might need. Your going way over board with your "planning ahead" Enclosure's are not meant to be small apartment buildings with a/c and heated floors. They are meant to be a safe controlled place for your reptile/amphibian to live out its life.

7. tmw1093

tmw1093 Active Member

Oh, I wasn't planning on putting A/C in... do you think I need it? c: I know I'm going way overboard, but this is my first vivarium, and I want it to be perfect. Maybe my expectations are too high, but I don't want anything less than the best for whatever reptile I might be getting.

8. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

I was being sarcastic about the air conditioning because your trying to put so many things into an enclosure.

Also its almost impossible to build an enclosure for something that you dont know whats going to live in it. You need to decide what its being built for before you even start building..

9. tmw1093

tmw1093 Active Member

I am building this enclosure for a Chinese Water Dragon. I speaking about the future, as in the other reptiles I might get in the future.

Also, I did realize you were being sarcastic. i was joking about the A/C. I do realize I am going overboard, but I have never done this before. I would appreciate it if you would tell me how I can do things the right way rather than just telling me what I am doing wrong, please.

If anyone has any plans or would like to tell me how they set up their enclosure, please do!

10. injunjoe

injunjoe Well-Known Member

I agree there is no need for the fan. I had one and found out very fast that it is not needed.

As you know hot air rises. The air in the room is cooler then the air in the enclosure. Therefore the hot air rises in the enclosure and draws in fresh air from the bottom.
    A small vent top and bottom is all you need. Even with just vents sometimes you will find they need to be closed or covered to maintain correct temperature and humidity.

I take it from the message you sent you are wanting to build somewhat like I have done. You must consider I have been in the building trade for 28 years. This sounds like a first time project for you. That being said I think you should do as the others suggest keep it simple at first then go from there.

Please don't take that as an insult but everyone must start somewhere.

Good luck!

11. tmw1093

tmw1093 Active Member

I know what you mean. Can we discuss this over in my other thread "Lots of Ideas, No Idea Where to start!"? That way I don't have to retype all my plans. I'm going to change them a little bit, and it will make it easier to explain, if you don't mind.