This Disappears When Logged In

Apophis, My Dwarf!!

Discussion in 'Reticulated Pythons' started by Hkg, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

I apologize as this is a long post....
    Okay so as y'all probably know I got a dwarf retic. I've been posting here a lot for advice and stuff and wanted to thank EriksExotics for all the help! And I want to introduce my retic.
    So his name is Apophis and he is a het albino poss stripe dwarf reticulated python hatched in 2011.
    He is 7 almost 8 feet long and his previous owner fed a guinea pig for his last meal.
    The previous owner was getting a blue tegu I believe and needed to rehome apophis. I contacted him off Craigslist and talked with him. I didn't really think I would get him to be honest, I wanted info then I was going to consider it. But as we talked I found out the guy was legit and lowered the price to $150 and he would drive 3 hours to me to deliver. He said he handled apophis almost everyday and he has never tried to bite or anything.

So when he was delivered I was out of town and my dad handle the transaction. So when I got home a week later my dad pulled him out (I didn't want him to. I don't like him handling my snakes as he's really aggressive with them) then he put him back. Later I went to clean his cage real quick, and he did what I was told was normal for dwarfs and tried to get away and something set him off and he started striking.he almost hit me. So I left him alone and covered the cage so he could relax. Yesterday he came out no problem and hung out for a while.

He has a pretty loud whistle when he breathes. The guy said its normal but I feel there's a possibility of ri. So I'm gonna take him to the vet in a day or two (I'm out of town again) last night I noticed he had something on his right side of his mouth. I couldn't tell if it was shed skin (he's in blue) or saliva. And he wouldn't let me get close enough to look. And I wasn't going to force it as I dot feel like being but right now. Haha. So I hope it's nothing serious. Other than the whistle everything seems to be okay. He is super active. He goes all around his cage for the majority of the day and night. He is a little clumsy in the way he lifts to much of his body off the ground and looses balance. And he is alert and defensive if he feels the need to b so I think that's a good sign. He's nice and strong as well. I put him on my shoulder and boy does he have a grip! Haha.

For those of you wondering. He is in a 6'X3'X18" vision cage. He has a lot of room in the cage. And I'm using a 60 watt ceramic heat emitter that keeps the hot side 85°-87° he is currently on newspaper and has a pretty big water tub that he can soak in.

Excuse how I look. I hate being in pictures.
    This is him compared to my lil bro who is 5'5"
    This is a old pic the guy sent me
  2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Sweet snake. I'm not familiar with dwarf retics. What size and weight do the usually top out at?
  3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm no expert on retics but it looks a bit on the thin side to me.
  4. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Well it depends on what kind of dwarf. Mine is jampea and it's said they can get about 15' long. Then there is the super dwarfs which stay super small (my opinion) for a retic. Females can reach 9' and male as probably about 5'.
    Merlin, I was kind of thinking the same thing. Apophis does seem a little thin, but nothing serious. They don't get much thicker than he already is. I'll talk with the vet about it, and for sure put a little more weight on him.
    Sorry if these andwers don't go into great detail or are incorrect. I'm currently on the road and I'm in a hurry and my brain isn't 100% functioning.
  5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Interesting and yes 'Dwarf' is a relative term for sure.
  6. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Yeah! This is my first retic, and I got to say I love them! Although a mainland gets way to big for me, dwarfs are perfect! As they are super smart so it's fun to work with them. SDs are a little to small for my preference.