This Disappears When Logged In

any suggestions? Poor Grizzly

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by nicole, Feb 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicole

nicole Elite Member

hello again, all of you were so helpful with my ratsnake King Arthur, now I have a different issue, so here it is:
    Last night I had one of my iguanas out for a stretch and some activity, when I put him back in his enclosure I noticed about 20 minutes later that he was bleeding I pulled him out and he had a very good size wound at the bottom of his foot (front left). He was bleeding a lot I stopped the bleeding and off we went to the 24 hour E.R. They used a liquid bandage and staples to close the wound after cleaning and flushing it. He was given subcutaneous fluids due to the amount of blood lost and sent home with Baytril to hopefully prevent possible infection. So here lies the problem the vet told me no baths, no moisture, and keep the humidity down for 4 to 6 weeks, the wound needs to be dry at all times.
    How do you keep an iguana with very little humidity when he came to me with severe MBD, pneumonia, severe dehydration and of course malnutrition. He also is well how do we put politely..... special ed.... he was having seizures when I got him and stayed in the exotics hospital for three days until stable, the seizures caused some brain damage. Long story a little shorter I asked the vet how do I keep an iguana who has to have his humidity, due to other skin problems, dry with no baths or moisture, for 4 to 6 weeks without causing any more problems than he already has ? He said I am sure you will figure it out and off he went chuckling. Ughhhh
    Any suggestions for my poor Grizzly ?

2. iam_a_legend06

iam_a_legend06 Well-Known Member

that sounds terrible i would change your vet

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A lot of people confuse humidity and dehydration issues when they are really 2 different things. Dehydration is addressed by increasing water consumption, either by actually feeding water thru a syringe, soaking his feed in water before feeding or adding Repcal brand iguana pellets that have been heavily soaked in water.
    Humidity affects the skin and the mucous membranes in the nose and lungs which in too low of humidity will tend to dry out.
    I suspect that what your vet is going for is to not to spray down the cage or do anything else which would result in the iguana walking on wet surfaces. This could be accomplished and at the same time keep your humidity up to a reasonable level by using a vaporizer or humidifier in the room if the cage is open. If its closed you could vent the fog into the top at short intervals so that nothing becomes damp but the humidity in the air is still in range.

4. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Oh maybe my description of the the vet came across wrong. They are a very good team of trauma vets and are the only ones around that are set up for trauma in exotics. This particular vet and I have gotten to know each other real well in the last few years as it seems that I am there at least once a month if not more, for the ones that come in in need of medical attention immediately. I think his comment meant he was confident I would figure it out as this seems so small of an issue compared to the ones I have brought in before. Who knows maybe I did not have enough coffee last night and so far yet today to figure this out LOL. However I am still stumped!

5. Merlin

LOL I personally took the Vet response as banter between 2 people that have come to know each other.

6. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Merlin, once again you are excellent!! As I sit here laughing at how easy the answer was to this one! Just simply walk in the bathroom and get the humidifier I use on the kids (wow thats a brain twister as I sit here still laughing at myself) As far as the dehydration I soak all the iguanas food in water, if they need more I do feed through the syringe, but that is usually only when they come in dehydrated. Usually they start coming around after a couple of weeks or so. However Grizzly is the only one I still force feed food and water to on ocassion as his poor little brain doesnt always tell him he needs to eat more for his own good! Thanks so much again Merlin!

7. The D

The D Mango Empress

awww poor Grizzly! i've always had a soft spot for 'special ed' pets... good luck with the foot!

8. nicole

nicole Elite Member

update on Grizzly

I thought I would post a little update on my poor Grizzly. The foot is healing well, I have changed the bandage on it three times, no signs of infections. The down fall to him is that he got a respitory infection the night before last that had him gagging and gasping for air, so back again in the middle of the night to my wonderful 24 hour trauma center, they gave me another set of antibiotics to inject (fortaz) every 72 hours along with the baytril orally by mouth every day. I also now have the fluids to inject every 72 hours also since he is not eating and drinking enough since this whole foot t hing started. I am now having to force feed everything he eats thru syringe because he refuses to eat anything. We go tomorrow to the vet (along with King arthur the snake) to have some tests done, however here is the problem, his sinus cavities are closing. When I got him his nose was swollen severely and the cavities were very small, he had severe mbd , still does, progressing slowly, but will never fully recover. They did open his sinuses a little to ease the breathing, but now they are not sure there is anything they can do for him as the scar tissue is built up so much in the cavities. So tomorrow I am seeing the partner to my trauma vet who has a little more experience in the surgical field, but according to the other vet it looks grim.
    So my question is has anyone had the same experience with the sinus cavities and had it turn out positive or had a surgical procedure done to correct it? I guess I am looking for a little hope as he has done so well with his recovery since i first got him in, no more tremors, no more seizures. I just cant stand the thought of this is how it ends for him, he has been through so much abuse and neglect in his lifetime and now has a home who cares and loves him and still not enough.
    I am very sorry as i am sitting here writing this and my emotions are obviously showing I am just looking for any advice any of you could give me.
    Thanks for any info you might have! I very much appreciate it!

9. Merlin

Unfortunately I have no experience with anything of that type. We have a couple of folk here that have rescue experience that may be more knowledgeable. All I can do is wish you and Griz good luck!

10. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Thank you so much Merlin!! I am aware that was a tough question and not one that comes up often if at all. We will see what happens today, as of this morning he is just laying around not doing much (doesnt look good) so I am trying to prepare myself for the worst. I have done absolutely everything I can for him it is just real hard for me to understand why people do this when the knowledge is right there on their computer! I only hope that people can keep teaching so this stops happening. After years of this I dont know how much more my poor heart can take! This will make number 2 in the last 6 months that have passed away after months of unsuccessful rehab due to neglect and abuse. I just got another one in the night before last that has a huge tumor in the broken dewlap, burns, swollen limbs, and the list goes on!! She is a whole different story!! Thank god for my wonderful vet who is also squeezing her in too. I think I should marry that man!!! LOL

11. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

I understand what you are going through Nicole....I have recently lost a couple of my most wonderful female iguanas. The first was in the 14 yr old range...and spent 7 yrs with someone with no UVB, animal protein etc....she spent 6 great years with me and we had an outing with her at a birthday party just weeks before her death....she was an icon and it hurt to see her pass...and the other girl who resided with her for those 6 yrs just couldnt handle it...she was 8 yrs old and obviously missed her good friend so much she stopped eating and also passed....I was heartbroken...but I will still fight for iguanas safety in this country....they are so misunderstood and abused so often. I know it's hard on your heart...but think of it as he was loved in his final hours...not just cast aside....Thanks for rescuing these green guys...you are tops in my book....

12. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I bet that would get you a good family discount! ;)

I know its tough but sometimes people are cruel and just don't care enough to learn anything about their lizard. they assume that what the petstore said is the gospel and that their iggy will be happy in a 20g tank with sand and iceburg lettuce. Sometimes you can help reverse the effects of years of abuse, but alot of times they are too far gone beofre the people realize that anything is wrong at all.

13. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

I give you a lot of credit, Nicole, for taking them in. Sometimes there's nothing we can do but love them and give them the best possible care until they pass.

Please keep us posted.

14. nicole

nicole Elite Member

o.k. life has been busy but here is the update on Grizzly and to me it is a fabulous update. some of you might think a little grim but really it is good. I have learned to become a fabulous nosepicker that's right a nosepicker. My vet showed me exactly how far I can go up in the sinuses without causing any damage. After about 15 minutes of working on them he had sinus cavities again!! YEAH! his breathing was so much better. Now the sinus cavities are still small due to the fact of his mouth and nose are deformed but at least I can help him breathe and he will hopefully be with us for some time. He was also kind enough to sell me this fabulous little utensil to pick his nose properly. Yummy! LOL. His respitory infection is clearing up and the foot is looking good. I also got some subcu fluids for him too. His appetite is declining according to the vet because of the two different antibiotics he is on, so I continue to force feed food and pedialyte. I am still waiting for his reptile panel to come in. So hopefully we have some more time left with him!
    However the trauma vet was right there is no surgery that will help his sinuses, so we just keep picking the nose. It is so nice to know when I get up in the morning have that coffee, that I will always be a nosepicker!! LOL
    My vet was also wonderful enough to give me lots and lots of subcu fluids already dosed and ready to go for many different sizes of iguanas that will come in and need it, ranging from babies to sub adults to the huge monsters!! What a guy, I think I am in love ( kidding). I asked him how he could do that and he stated, well when I charge you 20.00 for the fluids you are paying for the whole bottle so I will give you what you pay for. Wow when is the last time we had honest people not trying to rip you off!! So of course I bought three bottles!

15. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

Tubbing. I am not certain if they would perform the surgery on an iguana, but tubbing can be inserted that will prevent the cavity from closing. This will allow the cavity time to heal, and possibly have the tubes removed completely. There are procedures for this, I am just not certain if they have ever been used on reptiles.

It seems we have posted at the same time! lol

16. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I will definately have to call and ask about that, sounds excellent to me if they can do it on reptiles, beats being a constant nosepicker! LOL

17. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Like what they do for children's ears?

18. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

Yes, it is similar. I know it has been done for reconstructive purposes.

19. Merlin

The tubing sounds like a possibilty!
    And kudos to you for being willing to go the distsance for these animals!
    You are a special person!

20. The D

The D Mango Empress

you may be a nose picker... but you're a wonderful nose picker!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.