This Disappears When Logged In

Any Interest in a Smart Enclosure?

Discussion in 'Controls' started by dicklaw88, Nov 19, 2013.

1. dicklaw88

dicklaw88 New Member

Hello everyone,

I am trying to see if anyone has interest in ever having a smart enclosure system. Let me explain. It would be a system that would monitor temps / humidity level, etc and would control heating and humidity items. Would have a web based interface to set options and control the system, and also allow a person to be able to use camera's to view the enclosure via the web. I thought especially for people that have large cages that need specific and sometimes tricky requirements, that this would be something that would interest quite a few of you and not just me. :) If your interested in something like this, please reply to this thread with thoughts / etc.

I know there are some dumb options out there, that are usually pretty costly such as Monsoon for misting that does not spray based on humidity level but based on a timer, and cost $100 or a complete control system made by exozone that cost at least $400.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I can see there being a limited market for something such as this. Simply because it sounds like it would get pretty pricey. Having said that there are companies that produce enclosure that cost over $5k. So obviously there's more than a few with the big bucks.

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I would love something like this but the main feature I want is something that monitors temps and humidity and allows me to adjust them from my iPhone and would alert me when something goes wrong. The reason being is that the other people in my house are constantly adjusting the AC or Heater whihc throws the temps off in my cwd enclosure so being able to monitor and adjust things from afar would be awesome. Even if all I could do is turn things on and off it would still be a great feature.
    However I can easily see this type of system running into the thousands for the initial set up and equipment and then needing some sort of monthly fee for the continual monitoring and I dont know how many people are willing to spend that much.

4. dicklaw88

dicklaw88 New Member

I am thinking about creating something that could be opensource, something that would not be too hard for anything to set up, as well as cheaper than a expensive set up.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well if you get a working model let me know.

6. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

I think hardware would be the toughest thing about it, not software. You'd have to either come up with some kind of module thay could convert existing thermostat technology to be controlled wirelessly, or build thermostats from scratch. Both of which sound pretty difficult.

And then there is the need facor. Existing thermostat technology is really precise, and kinda the whole point of it is to be able to have perfect temperatures without having to fiddle with stuff.

All that being said, if you could come up with something simple like a digital thermometer/hydrometet hat wirelessly broadcasts to my phone, I would totally buy it. Provided it wasn't a fortune