This Disappears When Logged In

Any insectivores?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by kinonai, Jul 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kinonai

kinonai Member

Are there any snakes that are insectivores or that eat something other than rats/mice? If I ever got a snake, I would rather not feed it mice or rats...call me silly if you want to, but I'd just wind up feeling too guilty! Thanks :).

2. HerpboyNY

HerpboyNY Elite Member

there are plenty. Most garter snakes are hard to get to take anything but worms. Rough and smooth green snakes can be fed crickets. Then there are the snail and egg eating snakes. There are definately more.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There are a few snakes that are insect and fish eaters. Rough Green snakes, Garters and Ribbons come to mind.
    But they aren't as "handleable' as corns and kings.

4. kinonai

kinonai Member

Green snakes don't live over a couple of years, I heard, so I don't think it would be a very good pet for me. Any other specific names you could tell me? Pretty much anything that eats anything other than mammal is fine :). (Also, preferably ones that eat things that I wouldn't have to order online...aka something a petstore, bait shop, or other store would have). Thanks. By the way, what is the usualy lifespan of a Garter or Ribbon snake?

5. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I know the lifespan of a garter is atleast 10 years as we've had one at the natture center for that long :)

6. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

You can always feed frozen/thawed mice. It makes me feel less guilty :D.

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

The only problem with garter snakes is they can't be fed a diet of fish in captivity. At least not solely of fish. Too much fish in the diet causes thiamine deficiency (vitamin B1), as fish contain an enzyme called thiaminase that breaks it down. Since the vitamin is needed in the nervous system, this deficiency causes seizures, brain damage, and eventually death.

In the wild their diet of fish is supplemented with earthworms and amphibians, but a diet of strictly worms isn't nutritionally sound for a garter. I trained my garters to accept mice after I nearly lost one to thiamine deficiency a few years back. I have a worm snake, who feeds on nothnig but worms and occasional insect larvae, but I've never heard of them existing in the pet trade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.