This Disappears When Logged In

Another unknown Gecko miss-named at a Reptile Expo.

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by Goge, Nov 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goge

Goge Active Member

Went to the toronto reptile expo today and this frog breeder had a small jar with 3 small geckos in it. I asked how big they get and he said thats pretty much it. Well I thought it would go perfect in this 5 gallon I have and won't have to worry about getting a bigger tank for when it grows up. So I bought it and figured I'd get the care sheet and change or get whatever was needed for its care.

No such thing as a Tasmanian Forest Gecko, at least not that I can find. Thats what it was labled as. Then I thought it may be Thecadactylus rapicaudus or turnip tailed gecko because of this picture but then again, its eyes are brown, my geckos are really light grey.

Here is a picture of my gecko. [[56K warning]]
    picture of gecko
    picture of the tank

Any and all help would be great =D

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,
    Your 2 pictures are not showing up. It says the following:

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /images/forest.jpg on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.thegoge.com Port 80

3. Goge

Goge Active Member

Sorry about that. Fixed it, images should now work.
    Also, it moved into a better location and I get a shot of its head and belly.

My camera doesn't have zoom so I had to get really close... and the flash got reflected... I never said I was a photographer :p
    [[56k warning]]
    the face/head
    the belly

4. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

It's a cute little thing. Matt (furryscaly) should be able to help you out, but no promises.

They are probably WC so take extra precautions when housing them as not to contaminant your current stock. They should probably be in another room for at least a few weeks. Good luck.

5. Goge

Goge Active Member

they are in the same room but at different ends. and my crested is in the closet (door taken off). unfortunatly I can't put it in a different room cause I'm sure anywhere else my mom would freak.

I also believe it may be a WC cause they were sitting ontop of a cage filled with three WC chams of some migit kind. they were really small, size of a toonie, and weren't going to get bigger. but I'm not a cham man and this isn't a post about chams :)

thanks.

okay maybe a bit bigger then a toonie.

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Arrrrrr! I've seen those before! I've held one before! Now if only I could remember what its called! Its no turnip-tailed though. Believe me, I'll figure this out. Its gonna bug me till I find out what that is.

HA! I knew it! The first thing that came to mind when I saw it was a velvet gecko. So, I did a search on velvet geckos, but to my shock and dismay, this is what came up:
    http://images.zacharoo.com/animals/gecko/gecko.html
    http://www.saurian.net/htm/geckos_velvet_geckos.htm

But, it turns out that I had the common name right, but the species was wrong. The gecko above is a marbled velvet gecko (Oedura castlenaui). Yours, however, is a banded velvet gecko (Homopholis fasciatus). A completely different genus and species from a completely different continent. Here's your gecko:
    http://www.thelizardwizard.co.uk/Homopholis_fasciata_gallery.htm

Banded velvet geckos are native to areas of Africa, including Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia and Tanzania. Now if I could just find some info on them.

7. Goge

Goge Active Member

YAY, furryscaly to the rescue!
    really a treat to hold. unlike my very very shy crested.

8. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Oh, I almost forgot. I'd move him to a 10 gallon or a 20 gal though. A 5 is too small. I don't think youre will get too big, but too big for a 5 gallon at least.

9. Goge

Goge Active Member

well it seems they bite, and bite hard enough to draw blood. the breeder told me they bite but I didn't think it would be that hard. I thought that was a privilage reserved for Tokay geckos. It didn't bite the breeder taking it out of the cage, it didn't bite me when I went to put it into its new home. I even held it in my hands for a fair length of time and nothing happened... and admitidly, attempted to try and make it bite me. I was gently rubbing the side of its mouth. This way if it bit me now in a controlled enviro when it happens unexpectidly I'll know whats going on :)

So I guess I'll look up some articles on Tokay taming maybe learn a thing or two.

gotta get a heat lamp on it during the day, likes high 70 to mid 80ish temps.
    and medium 50 to 60ish humidity, so I'll move the moss. but can't find much else about them. nothing about tank sizes, substrates, or other general stuff. I saw they get to be 5" long total. so I'm guessing from what I can see on mine its gonna be 3" snout to vent? not small enough for a 5gallon? well, If it is to small I'll get another tank and maybe put a viper-tail in that 5 gallon =D

if a viper is 4 inches and supposidly breeding pairs and be held in a 5 gallon... why not one 5 inch banded velvet? I'll look into this a lot more for sure.

Thank you so much for your help!

10. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I dunno. I need to do more research on velvets. Personally, I wouldn't keep one in a 5, but I guess that doesn't mean its not possible. If it were up to me, 5 gallon tanks would be done away with though, so maybe I'm not the best person to ask :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.