This Disappears When Logged In

Another "rosie Isnt Feeding" Thread

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by Froich, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Froich

Froich Well-Known Member

Ive had Eve for a 2 weeks. I tried feeding her a week ago and she didnt take, then a couple days ago. And just right now.. I get the pinky really hot and she just looks at it and slithers the other way. She isnt shedding either, so I dont know whats going on.

The pet store I got her from put her in a dark warm bin and fed her really warm F/T pinkies. I have done everything caresheets, other threads, and even called a reptile vet and still no luck. Do I continue to have patience?

2. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

She may still be in an adjustment period. Two weeks isn't very long in snake terms, although it drives us nuts. You're stressing her out if you're trying so often.

What time of day are you trying to feed her?

3. Froich

Froich Well-Known Member

In the evening. When I see her wondering around the habitat

edit: If she doesnt eat, when do you think would be a wise time to try again?

4. DarkMagician207

That's a good time of day to try feeding her. Rosys are usually the most active during the evening or early morning hours, so that works out. I feed mine at night as well, usually covering his feeding bin with a really dark towel or some other dark covering. My snake tanks are in my room, so when I feed him, I also move his bin off to the side, out of the way of most foot traffic or disturbances. In my room, this would be next to the shelf his tank is on, or next to a large chest, somewhere I won't be walking around or bothering much. If your feeding bin has a lid that snaps shut or locks, you can also try turning the lights off in the room the bin is in and leaving. The dark and quiet might help.

I would leave her alone for another week. Try not handling her, just leaving her in her enclosure for the week. If you have to change out water or check temps, that's okay, but try to go for a solid week of peace and quiet for her. See what happens. She's still young yet so you have plenty of time for handling. :) It took Chaos a few times to get used to frozen/thawed food, as he was previously on freshly prekilled.

As far as shedding, its possible she had gone through one previously at the store, or perhaps may be due for one too. That could also be another reason she's not interested in food. I know with my 2 corns, they will eat even while in shed, but Chaos is never interested during shed. The eyes of a snake tend to turn blue or grayish as the eyecaps are ready to come off when they go into shed and the colors on their bodies get a dull muted color, then they clear up completely before the shed comes. It's usually hard to catch a Rosy "going into the blue" because they burrow. Leaving her alone for the week may also give her time to shed, if in fact she is in shed.

5. Froich

Froich Well-Known Member

alrighty :) I'll update in a week. Thanks!

6. DarkMagician207

Sounds great, hoping to hear some good news! :)

7. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Just reading this....sorry, I can't offer any advice, just wanted to let you know you are not alone..my own rosy is now on her second week of "not eating"..I offer food on the weekend and she refused, and I offered again yesterday and she refused again...I will offer again on Sunday..
    I can suggest that you get a weight scale and monitor the weight of the snake...weight is a good indicator of health, and a loss can help you determine when a vet check is in order..
    On the topic of shedding, I read somewhere that the albino (and pretty much any light colored species) are often VERY difficult to see/determine when a shed is going to take place...my own boa has not yet shed, and therefore I am hoping that maybe she is just starting to go into shed.

8. DarkMagician207

Any light colored snake is VERY hard to determine when they go into shed unless you happen to catch it in the color of the "blue" or "pale" eyes from the eye caps getting ready to shed. I have a snow corn and unless I see it in his eyes and happen to catch that right time to look at him, I never know he's in shed until I see the actual shed in the tank. :D

9. blueginger

blueginger Elite Member

If you took him/her out to weigh, wouldn't that be the opposite of letting them get used to their surroundings without handling? Just a thought.

10. teach920

If you are feeding in a separate container (which is encouraged), it is pretty simple to place the snake on the scale before placing him/her in the feeding tub. No "extra" handling is required to do this.

11. Froich

Froich Well-Known Member

Teach we should start a fan club for stubborn rosies haha

12. teach920

I hear ya...lol......There is no doubt I am a huge fan of these snakes.
    And while I'm quite familiar with my reptiles/lizards, this is my first snake, and no matter how many times I read about the "hunger strikes", none of that reading prepared me for it happening to my own....If it weren't for the fact that I knew mine hasn't lost any weight yet, I'd probably be a basket case from worrying........As it is, I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing my Luna eat her next meal...(heck, I don't even need to "see it",,,just want her to devour the next fuzzy ;))

Good luck to you as well, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this weekend.

13. Froich

Froich Well-Known Member

Been another week and she didn't eat again :(

14. teach920

I'm in the same boat:(...I keep a spreadsheet on all of my animals and normally I only record weights and vet check-ups or other important info.....on Lunas chart however, I am also keeping track of her feedings..
    She ate 1/15, then again on 1/22, and 1/29...she then skipped a week and didn't eat until 2/11...and has since refused..If she doesn't eat this weekend, it will be 3 full weeks.
    I realize snakes can go on hunger strikes, but I didn't think that younger snakes were supposed to go this long???? Luna still hasn't shed, so I am HOPING that maybe that is what is up with her??? Not sure though, and really starting to get worried...she "looks" fine, and hasn't really lost any significant weight, but considering she was 27 grams, there isn't a whole lot of "extra" weight to begin with..
    Definitely keeping my fingers crossed for this weekend.

15. DarkMagician207

I'm having a tough time figuring that out.:confused: When Chaos was young, he ate most of the time when we fed the snakes at the pet store (I worked there and was in charge of feeding the snakes). He was only there for a month or so though before he was bought by my friend's husband. I knew nothing about his feeding between the pet store and the time that went by before Chaos came to me. My friend's husband did tell me though that he did go off food for the winter (freaked the heck out of me the first year he did it in my care).

Are the temperatures outside fluctuating alot? I believe they can sense that. Here, we've gone from cold to snow to rain to warm to snow to rain, etc. Finally we've started getting a normal range of temps that aren't too outrageous and just two weeks ago, Chaos started eating again after not having eaten since the beginning of August.

As suggested, see if you can get a scale she will fit on and monitor her weight.

I am hoping they both start eating for you guys soon.

16. teach920

I suppose that might be part of it??..I know the weather has been crazy here this past week...super cold, then real warm....then we had the tornado warnings a few days ago...(we just got the winds and sirens in our city, but 30 miles north and south got the damage..) We have Central heating/air in our house, and we have it programmed to stay at a pretty constant temperature, but I suppose if they can sense a change in outside humidity and such, that might have played a part in it... this last week, I even decided to go buy some pinkies, and thawed a pinkie out as well as the normal fuzzy (just in case the fuzzy was maybe too big for her??...even though the breeder said she was eating them and she did eat them on 2 occassions)...however, this weekend, she didn't touch either one of them. I haven't touched her since this weekend and don't plan on doing so until I take her out this weekend to attempt another feeding...I am definitely keeping my fingers crossed Luna will eat this weekend.

17. DarkMagician207

After having Chaos for so long and watching the way he acts through the seasons, he's definitely more active when it's warmer out and every year for winter fasting he stops eating then starts again around the same time each year. So they must be able to sense something out there, because during the winter our house is kept at a maintained temp too. Now with a more steady temperature lately outside, Chaos is definitely getting way more active than he has been all winter.

I am keeping my fingers crossed too.

18. Froich

Froich Well-Known Member

Guess Ill try in a couple days again. I am going to be so upset if she gets sick or even dies from this. Then again I could totally be flipping out over nothing. She seems very active and is enjoying her home. It could be her first shed, so hard to tell with the light colors :) Ill keep you guys updated

19. DarkMagician207

I'll be thinking good thoughts! :)

20. Froich

Froich Well-Known Member

Im at a loss...over a month now, still no sign of shedding. Still hasnt eaten. The mice have gone bad so I gotta pitch them... vet doesnt know *bleep* because I live out in the middle of nowhere and they barely know what a reptile is. Siiggghhh.