This Disappears When Logged In

Anorexic Bearded Dragon?!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by claire, May 2, 2013.

1. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Flagacyl is really really hard on the GI. In humans they use it to treat certain STD's oddly enough. I highly suggest Acidophiliz+.

Ok next, is there another vet you can check with? Or better yet (as weird a question as this is going to be) is there a nature center or zoo near you? Often times they will have a herpetologist on staff who can at least nudge you in the right direction.

What is that in the bottom of her cage?

2. claire

claire Member

We have already seen two different vets, it feels as if they are clueless, which as tight as it sounds is why im reluctant to pay the earth for blood tests at this time. In the bottom of her tank its coconut chipping, it was advised by the pet shop and is KOMODO make, it is recommended for beardies it says on the pack, I wanted to stay away from sand.

3. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

.....Claire....get that stuff out of there as fast as you absolutely can. I dont give a creation **** if President Obama says its the cats meow get it out and I do mean now. Use paper towels, or eco carpet or tile not that stuff....

Why:

1. It holds moisture that leads to infection. bearded dragons are arid dry creatures who cannot tolerate moisture.
    2. They can eat it and it can mess them up inside
    3. It holds mites and other parasites
    4. It does not hold heat effectively
    5. it molds
    (I could continue this list)

Claire, take that out of her tank, take everything out of her tank and wash it in very hot water. Wash the tank also with vinegar and water (just like for windows...vinegar because if you miss some its not toxic).

I have to ask...and I am afraid to...are her stools runny and smell?

4. claire

claire Member

Can I ask why? Its been a recent thing, literally only the last week, you have me worried now

5. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

what were you using prior to the coconut?

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, is the 40 to 45c the surface temp at the basking site, and the 25 to 30c the ambient (air) in the coolest part?

7. claire

claire Member

Ive just taken it out...she had 1 runny stool today but it werent smelly

8. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

I suspect your dragon has Coccidia from the repeated stress from the parasites and stress trips to the vet and things. The drug they are using works well with Anaerobic bacteria but does not work against Coccidia. May I suggest asking your vet to try Sulfadimethoxine 5% (AKA Albon).

The danger with Coccidia is that is appears in stressed reptiles and to rid your pet of it requires OCD on crack cleaning of the cage constantly. I wish you were closer to me, I use a vet that strictly deals in herps.

BTW It can be seen in stool via microscope..It looks like (how to describe? It looks like round circles inside a bigger circle)

What country do you live in?

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  9. claire

claire Member

yes to both

shes been treated for this already

we were using sand but was told to takeit out and replace with newspaper then when her stool came back fine we changed it

sorry this was about the temps

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

These animals live on sand in some parts of their range (that doesn`t make them "desert" lizards though, as has been suggested). I wouldn`t advise using it for the hatchlings, but a properly supported adult should have no problems.
    I think the cool side is much too warm if it gets to 30c, you only need an ambient of around 21 to 24c (daytime).

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I take it you`re using a digital thermometer with a probe, or Temp-gun for the basking site (best to ask, just in case)! ;)

12. claire

claire Member

Digital thermometer :)

13. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

40-45C on the warm side and 23 - 25C cool side is good.

The absolute best substrate is tile. They are "arid" creates from the desert type plains of Australia and do not naturally live on sand. You dragon is not fully grown, and still curious right now. What is worrying me looking at the pictures is she appears almost stressed out. Have you considered talking to your vet about cutting the critical care back a little to try and induce her to eat?

And silkworms, I only know about the US and Canada, I dont know what country you live in!

14. claire

claire Member

If I was to starve her in the hope she eventually starts eating again, how long without food would she realistically be ok for? as I havent seen her looking ill, its just been a case of her not eating, thus the trip to the vets and discovery of parasites. (which are now gone) Also, do you think she has just become so reliant on force feeding as she was only a few months old when all this started.

Cheers guys :)

15. claire

claire Member

silly question probably but by tile, do you mean any household tiles?

16. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

If you bath her regularly (making sure to cover the vent) she can stay hydrated for quite a long while. As for food as cruel as it seems they can go several weeks without eating.

And murri, they actually live more along the lines of packed hard dirt, clay and rocks and grass. They are considered desert creatures because its hot and dry.

17. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I will jump in here: For the tiles. Yes use household tiles but not the smooth shiny ones. You will want a rough slate type of tile as it will help grind down nails and will also provide adequate grip for moving around.

18. claire

claire Member

Ok, after all the advice, which I really am so grateful for, I have a plan, wondered what you guys think. Tomorrow I am going to give her her critical care food and forcefeed her up with some wax worms and a cricket or two and after that I will starve her and not offer her food for a few days, possibly a week and hope that soon enough she will start eating. I will definitly bathe her daily so she doesnt become dehydrated.

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can I ask how many times you`ve visited (or how long you lived) in my home country (Australia)?
    Here are a few pics of Bearded dragons in the wild, look closely, and please do not tell anyone else they don`t live on sand in some parts of their range (I`ve seen them literally dozens of times)! Thanks.. ;)

8420875599_d99295e24e.jpg
    DSC_037-2[1] by ,
    8421968568_d6ac266ec0.jpg
    DSC_018-2[1] ,
    8421957978_924bfe5513.jpg
    14[1] by 8421964340_6b558ea490.jpg
    DSC_045-1[1] by murrindindi,

Attached Files:

20. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

How will bathing keep the lizard hydrated, unless it drinks the water?