This Disappears When Logged In

Anorexia

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by geckoguy14, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

hey guys,

Ive posted about this a couple of times in the past, but i have a 2 yr old male beardy thats been a fussy eater for a long time. he slept all summer long in his half log hideout, only coming out for a while and eaten even more seldomly. For some strange reason he's out more now that its winter but he still doesnt eat like he should. I feed him a staple of superworms (zoophobas) and supplement the diet with fresh greens and veggies and crickets. He gets the usual calcium/vitamin supplements and has full access to UVB. Plus, his basking spot stays around 110-115 degrees F. I change the bulbs every 6 months religiously. He seems a bit on the thin side if you ask me but not at a state to where it's extremely noticible.

Since i work as a veterinary assistant ive been able to talk my boss into drawing blood from him and sending it off to the lab for a reptilian chemistry profile. He's not an exotic's vet and isnt interested in finding out much about them, but he successfully bled my dragon.

Anyways, here's the chemistry results:

glucose-159 mg/dL
    total protien-7.2 g/dL
    AST (SGOT)-24 U/L
    Calcium (verfied by repeat analysis)-12.7 mg/dL
    phosphorus-5.6 mg/dL
    CPK-2849 U/L
    Uric Acid-3.5 mg/dL

this probably doesnt mean much to most people in here but just in case somebody has veterinary experience with reptiles, i'd like to know what yall think. I havent had time to consult the nearest exotic's hospital but i will get on that as soon as i have time.

Thanks for your help,

-Adam

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Have you had a fecal done?

3. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

don't know about reptiles but I can tell you that if I saw those values for a patient of mine (people) I would say that the sugar (glucose) was slightly high and that the patient had likely had a heart attack... Glucose for people is usually supposed to be no less than 80 and no greater than 100-120(depending on who you ask). The CPK (with human labs) is usually a cardiac marker that we use to see if someone has had a heart attack or not... It may have a different meaning for the reptiles...
    Good luck figuring out your BD!

4. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Zola has always been in the same boat, inactive unless you are offering him bugs. His temps have always been stable and within range but I jus covered the top of his cage with wood (as opposed to screen) for the winter and his temps went up about 3 degrees and he is infinitely more active and is defecating on hi own and basking and bobbing.

5. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

he's had numerous fecals, i put him on panacur a while back (months ago) to treat capillaria parasites who's ova showed up in his fecal. The fecals that followed were all negative after the panacur treatment was finished.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.