This Disappears When Logged In

Anoles Always Brown

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by Jaymin Sabean, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Jaymin Sabean

Jaymin Sabean Active Member

I got two Green Anoles, two days ago. They're In a 20 gallon, plenty of space. They're male and female. They are young, and always back on top of each other. Basking spot is 90.1 degrees Fahrenheit. Ambient is 70 degrees, but I am going to buy a heat Pad. They never move from their basking ar, they move throughout the area but never outside of the heat. Their humidity is 60+, misted 2-3 times a day. They are always brown, but I'm unsure of what I'm doing wrong. Why are they stressed? I put crickets and mealworms right next to them (usually only crickets, but the occasional mealworm) but I've only seen the male eat two crickets and two mealworms, but the female hasn't eaten at all since I got her. They have a Reptisun 10.0 for their UVB. I have a screen lid that is covered up in tinfoil so that heat and humidity don't escape. What am I doing wrong?? I haven't handled them yet, that is scheduled for next week. I don't want to scare them yet. Thanks.

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Some of the anole keepers will chime in on the husbandry questions I'm sure. But being stressed is completely expected when introduced to a new environment... just give it time. Almost all reptiles are like this and will go off food and be stressed for atleast a week.

3. Jaymin Sabean

Jaymin Sabean Active Member

But am I doing everything right? Ty

4. iRene

iRene Elite Member

If they are on top of each other they are competing for the most ideal spot. Try more perches near the basking platform. Anoles take time to settle into new homes. They stress very easily.

Qwerty3159 likes this.
  5. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Color changes mean a lot of things, stress, cold, dehydrated, etc. In your case I'm guessing stress because they are new.
    How are you measuring the temps and humidity and can you add pictures of the anoles and their cage?