This Disappears When Logged In

Anole Paludarium

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by Mart, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Mart

Mart New Member

Hey everyone,

I just finished making a turtle paludarium, and it's a massive succes. My musk turtle adores it! But that's not what I'm here for.

I was planning on building a cilinder shaped terrarium, for green anoles. The diameter is around 40 cm and the height is 80 cm. In the center I am planning to have an island, with live plants. I was wondering an your opinion on this project.

Is this a good idea, if so how many anoles can I keep, and what plants are your option?

P.S. I might add some fish, but I don't know yet.

2. jj silva

jj silva Member

That sounds like a great idea! I'd say only keep around 2-3 female anoles, since males may cause territorial issues. Also make sure you put a filter in the water to make sure it doesn't get stagnant. What size will the island be? If small I'd say keep a dwarf bamboo plant if it is the island I am thinking about. Also a bit of duckweed on the water will prevent the light from starting algae blooms. Hope this helps!

3. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Sounds like a really interesting enclosure but not one ideal for anoles. There will be a limited land area which would make it difficult to get a decent temperature gradient. You're going to need to have a lot of branches in or near the water in case an anole falls in, another issue with the cylinder tank is that its going to be very difficult for the anoles to climb on the glass limiting the amount of space in the cage they could use.

I'm not trying to trash your idea just explaining that it may not be suitable for the species you have in mind. Some tree frogs, however, would utilize the glass, land area, and water area of a setup like that.