This Disappears When Logged In

Anole Eggs Wrinkled Up ?

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by MantidBro, May 27, 2017.

1. MantidBro

MantidBro Active Member

She laid the eggs and suddenly, they wrinkled up, I don't know what happened, I have a temperature/humidity gauge and it says 80 degrees F and 80% humidity, why would they wrinkle up like that?? Aren't these the requirements?

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

What kind of gauges, are they analog? Those are very inaccurate thus the eggs were probably too dry.
    Still, anole eggs are pretty resilient and can take a beating. I always incubated by just leaving the eggs in a small container in the enclosure and didn't really pay attention to the parameters

MantidBro likes this.
  3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I too use to hatch them out by just tossing them in a small deli container with some sphagnum moss that was moistened and tossed them on top of one of my enclosures until they hatched. I also didn't follow any parameters.

MantidBro likes this.
  4. MantidBro

MantidBro Active Member

Yeah they're analog gauges. Should I switch to digital?

Is it possible for the anole to survive once the egg has shriveled, or is that the end of it?

I read somewhere that moving the eggs can kill the anole inside, is that true??

5. MantidBro

MantidBro Active Member

Hmm, and yours never shriveled? I find it odd that mine did considering how moist I kept them, I don't understand. Should I just leave them where she lays them? I mean she lays them under dirt, where it's always moist, maybe I should stop removing them and just leave them alone.

6. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

I would switch to digital for the adult anoles anyway.
    How shriveled is the egg? If it's only a little bit it could very well survive. I had one turn totally brown and hatch a healthy baby. You could always try then toss them if their condition deteriorates. Moving the eggs isn't a big deal as long as it happens relatively early on in the developing process. The main reason not to do this is because unlike with birds reptile embryos attach to the inside of the shell, unlike a bird's egg which can be turned pretty freely and often are deliberately turned by the parent bird. Transporating the eggs into an incubation container is certainly not a problem.

What exactly did you do with the eggs before they shriveled? For easier collection I would usually dry out the enclosure a bit around the time the female was due then provide a flower pot or some kind of container with moist soil for her to lay in. After she laid them in there I usually just leave them buried and let them hatch on their own. I usually would remove the male at this time to allow the females some time "off" from breeding, so it was fine for the babies to hatch in the enclosure then get collected. If the male is is around he may eat the hatchlings so in those cases I put them in a container in the tank.
    Mine would usually lay steadily from May to August if I let them so if this clutch doesn't work out you'll have many more chances

MantidBro likes this.
  7. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Keep in mind that infertile eggs will die. Is it possible they were infertile and shriveled up from that? Pictures would be great! I didn't care if my anole eggs were to actually hatch when I had them, so I was just giving them a shot to hatch and it worked great. The offspring were actually fed to my corn snake as a treat.

MantidBro likes this.
  8. MantidBro

MantidBro Active Member

Thanks guys!