This Disappears When Logged In

Animal careers...that pay well?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kinonai, Jul 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kinonai

kinonai Member

I was wondering if anyone knew of any animal related careers that paid well. I'm looking for something starting with $40,000 on up and with growth room. From the research I've done, something like this doesn't seem to be out there, but I thought I'd ask. Veterinarians can make up to $90,000, and even higher depending on the area and the situation, although I don't know if this is really something I'd want to do or not. When I was little, I wanted to work with dolphins, but it seems that animal trainers get paid less or a just a little more than minimum wage, generally. So, any suggestions?

2. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

It's a difficult decision, usually the jobs you love are the ones that don't pay well. They also require more schooling and are harder to get.

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Im gonna be starting school next year to major in herpetology and biology prolly,but I plan on starting a breeding business...

4. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

Give this website a try http://www.bls.gov/oco/
    This site is produced by the government and have most jobs listed includes income, education, job outlook etc. I use this site with my students quite often when they are doing career searches.

5. iam_a_legend06

iam_a_legend06 Well-Known Member

Animal jobs are more a labour of love rather than a job for money i suppose you get the pleasure of working with amazing creature big and small but maybe the pet shopt trade and if you do it good and get a good reputation you rack it in $$$$

6. jcr

jcr Active Member

A big prayer that I have for my children is that they will choose a career that provides adequate provision for their families & is also something that they enjoy- a job that causes them to be thankful. If you chase after a big paycheck, then that will be your reward. If you do something that you love, then your heart will know contentment & satisfaction that money can't buy. If you look around you, then you will see - the more people have, the more they want. A hunger for things of this world is never satisfied. There are very few people that experience what a blessing it is to make good money at something they truly love doing. If you purpose in your heart to seek something other that what this world has to offer, you will find peace. I pray you find a job that makes you happy to go to work each day! Best wishes!

7. grim

grim Elite Member

I used to love my minimum wage petshop job. Alot of times it ends up like that with a job you like. At school we had career orientation and they even told us that jobs in the research fields would pay less than jobs in something like the medical field. You shouldn't get a job or career just for the money. I would much rather have a 5.50 an hour job that i love(pretty much anything animal related) as opposed to working at mcdonalds or a supermarket for a higher wage. Thats my two cents on the matter.

8. kinonai

kinonai Member

I know that I shouldn't get a job just for the money...and that's why I'm trying to best to find something that both pays well and that I enjoy. My dad has pretty much stripped our family of everything (he makes $80,000 a year but spends about $100,000 a year on useless things and alcohol), and it is pretty much inevitable that I'm going to have to support both my mom and dad eventually. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do this well on minimum wage. Otherwise, I'd be fine as the underpaid dolphin trainer at some unknown theme park or zoo. Well, I've thought of different areas too...maybe something with computers or law, but I've always wanted to do something with animals, you know?

9. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

Without a Masters or PhD you have very little chance of making any money in animal care and research. I am taking a degree in Marine Science and multiple research projects and publications to my resume, and turning it into a teaching masters (MAT) so that I can have job stability and decent pay while still doing research. With that I can work in Education Programs at Aquarium and Zoological institutions. Teaching salaries aren't great, but there are a lot of benefits and great perks, and incredible job security.

Unfortunately there is very little money in field research, it is all in Lab work and publication, but teaching you are making a stable salary and getting a few months a year off to do your own work or work for a foundation doing field work.

My biggest recommendation is get EVERY volunteer and internship position you can find while you still can, because once you graduate, you need to have a strong network of options or else you may as well start looking for entry level jobs anywhere they'll take you.

I do't mean to rain on a parade, but from experience, there are a million and one biologists/vets/herpitologists/etc. out there that want the same thing and there are very few ideal positions left in animal work. Good Luck, I hope you find your niche. If I hear of anything for you, I'll shoot it your way.

10. HerpboyNY

HerpboyNY Elite Member

Are you in high school now or what? Talk to your guidance counselor, maybe he/she can help. Mine has been wonderful so far and is helping pick the right classes, showing me possible ways to achieve scholarships, all that good stuff. Also, get out in the community and start doing volunteer work, of course working with animals. Not only is it very rewarding but also looks good on an application(whether for work or school). The president of one of the sanctuaries I'm volunteering at was telling me about some sort of paper where I can easily get 15 credits.

11. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.