This Disappears When Logged In

an extinction for you, and you , and you

Discussion in 'Herp Awareness' started by furryscaly, Apr 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

2. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

It's so very depressing what we do to our planet!! Sometimes when I see how people treat our wonderful planet,I'm ashamed to be a human!!
    But everyone can help to make this planet heal again;I,for example,always refused to get a car or any vehicle that poisons our air and kills life.If you read one of Michael Moore's books,you will know that more than 200'000 people every year die of air pollution!! This is terrible!! And no one ever also mentions the animals that die of the same thing,and all the trees!!
    Sorry,but this just makes me so angry,and it just wont get in my head why we humans are so stupid animals!!
    And the sad thing is,a lot of leaders don't care,and Mr.Bush is just so scarry how he treats our planet!!

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Wow,,,that was quite an interesting read,,,,and alarming... thanks for the link.

4. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Does nobody else have an opinion on that??!
    Sure,it's not herps,but it should concern us all!!

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Its a long article, but if you find the time, its a good read IMO. I've got a list of species that have gone extinct since the quaternary began. Now I don't have anywhere near all the species, especially since some species are going extinct before we discover them, but my current list is still as thick as a small paperback book, and all thats in it are species names.

6. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

I think it's a shame that there are species going to extinct before we even knew them!! This is all so shocking!!

7. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Where are you all?? Nothing to say to that??!

8. WingedWolf

WingedWolf Elite Member

I already knew about it. What bothers me more are the species that we should have saved...the ones that have gone extinct very recently.

I'm still tearing up over the Dusky Seaside Sparrow, after all. A little brown bird, very similar to lots of other little brown birds....and then, in 1987, there were none.

http://www.earthwitness.com/Orange Band.htm

Too little, too late, and long after we should have known better--we did know better, and we let it happen anyhow. You can hear its call on that website, too...the only thing we have left, that and a few stuffed and mounted specimens sitting in museums.
    Because no one really cared about another little brown bird.

9. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Yeah, in the year 2000 the pyrenean ibex went extinct. Its a wild goat. http://home.conceptsfa.nl/~pmaas/rea/pyreneanibex_bestanden/image006.jpg

The miss waldron's red colobus monkey also went extinct in 2000. Course there are tons more that go extinct every year, but these two are some of the larger species. They're also mammals, most species that go are birds, bugs, amphibians, or plants. I forget which species it is, but there's a lynx that's getting extremely close to dying out too.

10. deltro_star

deltro_star Elite Member

Wow I always knew extiction was a huge problem but that really put it into perspective... It ****s that when my Children are old enough to go to school and learn about extinct species they will probably be learning about animals that I myself have seen up close. 3,ooo+ per year.....geez! I guess it's just Human nature to destroy all we can do is raise the awareness and education of others.

11. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.