This Disappears When Logged In

amphib color morphs

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by furryscaly, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Does anyone know if anyone's working on color morphs in amphibians? I was looking at a pic of my OFBT, Bud, and though of how cool they would look if someone bred one that was entirely black above, no green left. Then I tried to think of amphib color morphs out there, and with the exception of albino and stuff like spotless leopard frogs and stuff, I couldn't think of any off the top of my head. I can think of so many for snakes and lizards. Is it even possible with amphibians? I don't really know why it wouldn't be. lol, maybe someday I'll come up with a melanistic OFBT.

Just look at his "lips", and then imagine that black covering his whole body. It just looks so cool!
    [​IMG]

2. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

With most amphibs there are color morphs available but nothing like you see in the snake or leopard gecko world. Most breeders try to stay away from morphs and hybrids, its something that no one in the amphib world wants to see nor is looking forward too. I feel the same way. There are rare morphs in the wild that occur like you are talking, where their pigments are very faint and barely expressed, however they are usually still there.

On a side note an albino dart frog was developed through chance breeding, from what I understand there was no inbreeding involved, however they were not morphing out of the froglet stage succesfully. One or two succesfully morphed but died shortly there after.

3. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Yeah, I've seen a few slight morphs, but like you said, nothing like lizards and snakes. I was mainly just curious as to why that is. Is there a particular reason morphs aren't as popular/common/possible in amphibs? Normally I'm not too crazy about morphs either, but I've always wondered why amphibs just didn't have as many. Turtles either. Does this have something to do with those types of animals, or is it just cause nobody's really tried yet?

4. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

This is just something I've put to thought, but I have absolutely no idea, really.

Most morphs are bred simply due to the money value. Most amphibians produce so many young, the price of one in a few years would be just as cheap as normals, so going out of your way to 'pollute' a blood line is not something most breeders/keepers like to see. Plus, amphibian morphs are hideous.

Now, there are several morphs out there; Darts, Mantellas, Red eyes, Monkeys, and so forth. They aren't really all that rare, just not really all that attractive and not really worth anything so without a high demand, you won't see a high supply.

As for wild specimens, amphibians go through many stages in life which makes them that many more times vulnerable to predators; That's why you don't see many wild populations.

By the way, there's a pet shop here that has Melanistic Fire bellies.

This is all by what I think, I have no proof or anything to back it up.. Just my logic.
    Zane

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Makes sense to me I guess. Yeah, its the dart frogs and leopard frogs that I've seen morphs in. Just out of curiosity, are those OFBTs all black or what? I don't really have much of an interest in breeding, but I find the subject interesting.

6. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

They were completely black and a few were a darkish brown with a few red spots.

7. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

ya i see where your coming from. Damenta from the chatroom, he has a jet black pacman frog, i guess it's possible

8. samantha

samantha Elite Member

have you seen the black toads? i would love to have one of those they are all black with some white designs on them, and they arent morphs just naturally black they are very pretty. i dont know much of anyhting about all this but just a thought on a black toad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.