This Disappears When Logged In

Amazon Tree Boa Humidity Problem

Discussion in 'Emerald Tree Boa/Arboreal Boas' started by Calebmundy132, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Calebmundy132

Calebmundy132 New Member

Hi guys, I've just set up an exo terra 60x60x45 cm for an amazon tree boa. I've modified the top with Perspex to replace the mesh lid. Using a radiant heat panel for heat. The problem is on the cool side the humidity is 20% more then the hot side, just wondering if this is normal? And where should I place the hydrometer probe? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Hello. It's perfectly normal for the cool end humidity to be a bit less than the warm end of a cage. Put the probe at the cool end and you'll be fine.

3. Calebmundy132

Calebmundy132 New Member

It's more humid on the cool side

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

In that size of habitat I'm thinking you're getting false readings. In a distance of 2ft I wouldn't think it would change 20%.
    But then even if it is, it's good to have a variance in humidity.

5. Darkbird

Whoops, wrote that backwards, lol. Should have said more humid on the cool end. Sorry, blonde moment there.

6. Calebmundy132

Calebmundy132 New Member

Okay thank you. But 20% seems a lot? Won't cause any problems will it?

7. Darkbird

Heat sources dry out the air, so that doesn't seem like too much of a variance. Shouldn't be an issue.

8. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Looks like you have a pretty thick layer of cypress mulch in the bottom? Just keep that moist and the humidity should be fine as long as the top is mostly covered. I'd start planning for a larger enclosure though, that one won't be suitable for the long run.

9. Darkbird

And if you just want to play around a bit, try measuring it an inch off the floor at either end. Just guessing you were measuring near the top, which would probably kind of mess up the reading when close to the RHP.