This Disappears When Logged In

Amazon Tree Boa Enclosure

Discussion in 'Emerald Tree Boa/Arboreal Boas' started by oakensiren, Sep 11, 2018.

1. oakensiren

oakensiren Member

I have a tropical enclosure ready and wanted to know how to adapt it for an atb.
    The tank is a 55 gal 100cm x 40cm x 50cm tall.
    It has a lava rock drainage layer, the substrate is a mix of eco earth, coco fiber, black earth, fine tree bark and spagnum moss with a layer of leaf litter on top.
    There is only 1 plant, a devil ivy. 20180911_161350.jpg 20180911_161333.jpg
    I also want to know if these pieces of wood are ok
    20180911_134144.jpg 20180911_134057.jpg
    Should i add more wood or are these 2 pieces enough?
    What should i add/remove/change?

2. Lori68

Lori68 Established Member

Tree boas spend most of their time resting on branches, so you'd need to make sure you have it set up for this. Have you seen any good examples of amazon tree boa set ups? Place several horizontal branches off the ground for the snake to perch on at the very least I would think. Here are a couple of examples that show what I'm trying to explain. Pictures always do more than words ;) Not my cages by the way...these are found in the cage examples section of people on this forum that shared them.

Amazon Tree Boa Enclosures | Reptile Forums - Information

3. oakensiren

oakensiren Member

Will buy more branches, any advice on sterilizing them and how to keep them in place?

4. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

I set up horizontal branches like that for my day gecko by cutting them to size then using silicone to fix suction cups into the ends of some bamboo poles. That was they could be moved but would still be sturdy and secure. I jammed a piece of cork into the bamboo before siliconing the suction cup on to make it all stick better.
    lIMoH9Q.jpg
    I can take some better photos later of the perches themselves after if you'd like

Lori68 likes this.
  5. oakensiren

oakensiren Member

Thanks, would love to see more photos, i don't really know where to get bamboo poles but will start looking for them.
    Btw nice looking gecko

6. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Thanks- he's quite a bit bigger than that now.
    I thought I had some photos I took during the build saved on my PC but I guess I don't, so here's some more close ups. It's literally just a suction cup jammed into the hollow end secured with some silicone and a bit of cork further inside to give more surface for the silicone to adhere to. I have two in the day gecko and another in a different cage and they've held up very well in the last 8 or 9 months, one end is getting a little bit loose probably from moisture but when the time comes you can just yank the suction cup and old silicone out and redo it, very simple.
    H6dQjYf.jpg

YFGxHCp.jpg

gWaAwN4.jpg

Actually finding the bamboo pieces was the hardest part. I ended up getting really lucky and seeing some clearance tiki torches being sold for like $1.50 at the local Home Depot. I bought those and just cut them to size with a chopsaw and got rid of the actual torch end.

Lori68 likes this.
  7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You can get bamboo in garden centers. They use them for staking up plants.

Lori68 likes this.