This Disappears When Logged In

Am I Hurting My Jungle Python???

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by lilpai2000, Apr 3, 2014.

1. lilpai2000

lilpai2000 New Member

Hi there, I am a new mummy to a gorgeous fiesty Jungle python named "Maggie". We got her 10 days ago, She is 3 months old and had not being handled when we got her. I have being getting her out daily and handling her. She tends to tag me a few times but has settled down quite a lot over the last week, my question is this. When I am handling her, I find myself rubbing very gently down her body and I hear popping/cracking sounds...she seems to love it...I mean she relaxes in seconds and lets her body just hang while I do it, she is normally very fast and moving non stop. Would I be doing any damage?? I mean I am running my hand down so gently but it still pops...it just seems to be like Yoga for her...she is a different python and more relaxed...advice??

2. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Hi, there. As long as you're being gentle you should be fine. I hear/feel a popping type of thing with my baby boas sometimes, too. I think it's just their spine realigning or something but I'm not sure. Sometimes I feel the popping when I palpate them (running my thumb down their tail to determine their sex) so I believe it's normal and just something to do with their spines realigning or something. I've heard a lot of other people ask about it too so it seems normal. Especially in small snakes like baby boas and baby pythons, etc. As I said, just make sure you're being delicate and gentle and you should be fine :)

3. lilpai2000

lilpai2000 New Member

Thank you so much, yes I am gentle and she seems to really enjoy it :)

4. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Good to hear! Welcome to HerpCenter!