This Disappears When Logged In

Am I Crazy?

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by Cowrie, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Cowrie

Cowrie Well-Known Member

Tell the truth, am I crazy to want to own a coconut crab some day?

2. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

I don't think your crazy, well, maybe you are but you have come to the right place! My son wants Vampire crabs- and he is 4! I guess it is the environment?!

3. Cowrie

Cowrie Well-Known Member

One problem is, I can't seem to find anything on appropriate housing. If anyone here has some ideas, or experience, please share.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! You sure do seem to set your sights on some exotic stuff! I can't say that I have ever heard of anyone keeping them.

5. Cowrie

Cowrie Well-Known Member

Yes, I do. I get all sorts of impractical "great ideas".

And, it appears they are kept as pets in Japan with some level of frequency. Better yet, it's legal to keep them in the US!

Despite knowing with absolute certainty that I won't get one until I move out, if I ever get one, I've already found a supplier for the crab.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Just plant a coconut, in a few years you`ll have a tree, then the crab will have a home..... ;)

7. Cowrie

Cowrie Well-Known Member

LOL.

I was thinking maybe a terrarium made of bullet-resistant plastic would be a crab-proof enclosure. Lots of substrate to dig in, a big, PVC hide...

8. Cowrie

Cowrie Well-Known Member

Do you think a 18 ft by 12 ft habitat would be big enough for one? Probably six or seven feet tall with somewhere between one and two feet of substrate. Though, at that point one may as well just dedicate a room to the critter...

9. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I don't think you are crazy, but maybe you should pursue a career in Zoology and become a Herpetologists.:) You really seem to be so interested in these types of things and you definetly have the drive and the willingness to learn. I'm not sure of your age, but you are very clever.

10. Cowrie

Cowrie Well-Known Member

*Facepalm* Everbody tells me I should go into Zoology, and here's my one-size-fits-all answer to it: I'm going to be an occupational therapist. Animals are my hobby, and I want them to stay that way.

What do you think of the ideas I've come up with for an enclosure?

11. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Yes, your 18' x12' habitat for this coconut crab. Well I don't know much about crabs, let alone owning a giant crab that can crack coconuts with its claws. I'll let the experienced crab owners tackle that one.:D

12. Cowrie

Cowrie Well-Known Member

I really don't mind, it's just that it's gotten to be redundant.

The real question about it is, do coconut crabs need the same relative amount of space as a regular hermie? Because hermies can get around five inches legspan, and a 10g (20"x10"x10") is big enough for one. A three foot legspan in a 12'x18' enclosure would give a coconut crab more relative room than a 10g for a hermie.

13. Medium

Medium Elite Member

I'm a little late, but what the hey!

You are no more crazier then I for wanting a Shovel-Nose snake...LOL!

14. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

What Cowrie meant to say was, "Thank you very much, that is nice of you!" LOL. I keep running into people who knew me during my teens and twenties, they are shocked I didn't become a veterinarian- I am an OT.

15. Cowrie

Cowrie Well-Known Member

Do you think at the size of enclosure I'd be using it would be more efficient to just give the crab a room if/when I get one? I realize, any room would require serious crab-proofing, but I know something like that would be possible when it comes to environment.

I know this because I've had a "crab on the loose" before. In other words, once a pet hermit crab escaped while I was on vacation. About a week after I got home, my dad found it just crawling back towards it's proper habitat. It was perfectly healthy, due to the high humidity in the summer around here.

So, provideing digable substrate in a room would be the bigger problem. If I resorted to that, I'd probably just end up with a big sandbox.