This Disappears When Logged In

Alternative to Heating Rock/ Under Tank Heater?

Discussion in 'Heating' started by Cherry, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Cherry

Cherry Member

Hello,

So I have a couple Leopard Geckos. I've currently got them set up with an under the tank heater mounted on the side and altering day/ night lamps, but I am worried that they don't get enough heat on their bellies specifically. Because of where I keep the tank, I can't put a heater underneath and I know that a heating rock is dangerous and should not be used. Any ideas about a way in which I can ensure they are getting enough heat underneath them despite these limitations?

Any advice is appreciated! :)

Also, I am currently in the market for a good thermometer. I have a basic one but it is old and I would like to be able to double check it's accuracy. Any suggestions? I'm going for affordable here, people. ;)

2. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Curious why can't you put a UTH under your tank? If you prop the tank up and control it with a thermostat you should have no issues. I don't like using lights as a heat source, it tends to dry the air out and when they burn out you are without heat until you get a new bulb.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have worked around precisely this issue myself.

I used flexwatt heat tape, thoroughly taped to the bottom of a ceramic tile, and operated with a thermostat. Much safer than heat rocks.

If you don't feel comfortable or confident enough to wire flexwatt on your own, you could also do the same with a stick-on variety of heat mat, but adhered to the bottom of the tile, rather than the bottom of the cage.

With these methods, the heaters can be transferred from one tank to another easily, since they are not stuck to the tank.

I put rubber stick-on feet on the bottom side to keep the tile from crushing the cord, or destroying the floor of a terrarium. That only boost it about 1/4" or less, not enough for a leo to get under it and get stuck.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

A decent digital thermometer / hygrometer combo can be had at Walmart for around 12 bucks. Look for the accurite brand ones. Not perfect, but good at a reasonable price.